Chapter 8 - Not Ready To Go Home

"Lana. Hey Lana," I felt something warm caress my cheek, and I leaned into it, savoring how warm and nice it felt. "No goofball, don't fall back asleep," I heard someone chuckle softly. I cracked open my eyes and found Oscar leaning over me, smiling. 

I sat up slowly, rubbed the fatigue out of my eyes, and looked around, realizing that we were still in the cave. "What time is it?" my voice croaked, and I coughed a little to clear it. 

"It's almost 4 in the morning. I guess we fell asleep at some point after dinner," Oscar looked around sheepishly. I cracked the stiffness out of my neck from sleeping on a hard cavern floor and stood up to stretch. The star box was still on, but Oscar had flipped on some of the flashlights as well to make it easier to see. 

I let loose a yawn, and Oscar laughed, "let's get you home." 

I started to put everything back into the picnic basket as Oscar put things back into the duffel bag. I looked over at him and realized I didn't want this night ever to end. I wanted to stay with him for as long as possible. He and his floppy hair, beautiful eyes, and soft lips. Especially his lips.  

He handed me a flashlight and guided us back through the cavern system and out to the parking lot. I looked up at the night sky, where clouds partially covered the real stars. I handed him the picnic basket and got back into the passenger seat as he organized the stuff in his trunk. As I was sitting there, looking at him through the rearview mirror when an idea struck me. 

Oscar got into the driver's seat and leaned over to kiss me briefly before starting the car. "Can you direct me back to your house?" he asked. "You mean you don't have it memorized yet?" I feigned being hurt. 

"Sadly, I've only ever been there once," he sighed. 

"Don't worry. I have a feeling you'll be over there a lot more often now," I smiled, "but I can't promise you won't end up in the pool now and then."

"Any excuse to get my clothes off, eh?" He smirked.

"Duh," I stuck my tongue out at him. "You can just head back to the school, and I should be able to guide you from there."

Once we passed the school, I decided to put my plan into action. I peered over the steering wheel to see how much fuel he has left in the tank and did a quick mental calculation of how many miles we would drive to get to where I wanted to go and back. "Can you pull over into that gas station up on the right? I need to use the bathroom," I lied. 

"Aren't we almost to your house?"

"Yeah, but I really need to go. There wasn't exactly a restroom down in the cave," I explained. 

Oscar shrugged his shoulders and pulled into the gas station, and parked the car. "I'll be right back," I said. I got out of the car and turned back, "how do you take your coffee?" 

"Um, black. Why?" he asked with an amused smile. 

"No reason!" I closed the door and dashed inside. After using the bathroom, I bought coffee and breakfast sandwiches for both of us, along with a couple of bags of chips for later. I walked back out with the supplies, and Oscar got out to help me, "what on earth are you up to, you goofball?"

"Oh, nothing! Don't you worry your handsome little head about a thang," I handed him both coffees, and he took them instinctively. "Mind if I drive?" I asked, skipping over to the driver's side door and raised my eyebrow, waiting for his answer.

"How do you have this much energy at 4:30 in the morning?" Oscar asked, shaking his head and sliding into the passenger seat. I smiled. My plan was working perfectly. I started the car and pulled out of the gas station parking lot.