chapter 6: banished ladies

2nd June, 2021

chapter 6: banished ladies

• • •

Nani claimed our balcony garden was a mess.

She was right, of course — none of us had green fingers like hers, the pots held half-dead plants. I knew she'd busy herself with it the entire day.

It was Monday again, which meant everyone left the house except Humrah didi and Nani. I had a university to attend, Safwana — my little sister — had school and Ammi needed to go to her baking studio which she ran with Zurri khala. Humrah didi had taken leave for her upcoming wedding, so she got to relax at home. I knew it was going to be a long day when I stepped out of my house and the morning sun's warm rays pierced through my beige sweatshirt.

The weather in Bangalore was pretty unpredictable, like a woman's mood swings every month. Who knew we'd get sunny days in cold Novembers? It reminded me of the beach in Anaargis which held warmer waters in winters. To be truthful, I felt like the world was giving way to a wider range of seasons, and the sun and clouds could no longer be trusted to hold our season-wise discrimination.

My outfit was ready for the day to change from a hot morning to a chilling afternoon. And it did, as I went to college with Amirah and Falak, as the usual assignment submissions, new course material to cover and instructions on higher studies were displayed before us, the breeze shuddered into its winter form. Falak claimed we should stop by the bakery to warm ourselves, and it sounded like the best idea.

"You guys are here!" Ammi's cheerful voice floated towards us as we entered the shop, VELVETIER — true benevolent breads

"Assalam Alaykum!" We called in reply.

"Wa Alaykum Assalam, Zahra — get those cupcake liners from the back." Ammi told me immediately.

"Oooh today's special is cupcake?" Amirah asked as I nodded and walked inside the shop.

"Yes, take a seat, you two." Ammi gestured at the cute little array of tables and chairs beyond the counter.

"We decided to try blueberry muffins with vanilla ice cream — everything sold out in twenty minutes!" Zurri khala grinned as I arrived with the parchment paper in my hands.