chapter 3: trouble-maker on the run

13th May 2021

chapter 3: trouble-maker on the run

• • •

His frame softened, and he nodded.

I breathed a sigh of relief as he fished his phone out of his pocket. He handed it to me and glanced behind him. Jennifer was still standing silently beside me, so I moved away to make the call.

"Make it quick." Monogram Gucci ordered, and I rolled my eyes, this guy was so bossy.

I dialed Amirah's number and waited. Three rings, four rings, five —

"Hello?! Look, whoever you are — if you've got Zahra we will give you one crore rupees but please don't hurt her. I swear if you do — I'll find you myself, make an achaar out of you and dry you up on our roof in the burning sun!" A hysterical voice answered, and I had a sudden mad urge to laugh out loud at the familiarity.

"Amirah, it's me." I told her, I seem to have imbibed the calmness in Monogram Gucci's voice.

"Zahra? Is that you?!" Amirah screamed. "I saw someone was forcing you out of the shop, we tried to follow but something happened here—"

"Amirah, just promise me that you'll call the police if I don't return home in 30 minutes." I said hastily. Monogram Gucci's head snapped towards me, his amber-brown eyes wide with shock. "Make sure you raise alarm, tell everyone who can go out of the house to come find me, I am being kidnapped right now—"

Monogram Gucci grabbed the phone out of my hands and ended the call.

"What the heck?" He growled.

"Thirty minutes." I told him. "You have thirty minutes to explain everything you've just done to me, or you're screwed."

"Fine." He glowered at me for a few seconds before coming back to his senses and looking away. "I'll have to switch my phone off so the police can't follow me around now."

Dang, this guy has done his homework. My mind told me.

"You're such a handful." He shook his head at me before turning to his assistant. "Jennifer, give the driver a missed call."

I walked silently behind Monogram Gucci, with Jennifer by my side who was fumbling with her phone. It didn't make sense — why didn't I feel like I should run away? Was I not being held with force? Something told me it wasn't the right time yet. Maybe it was the concern in his eyes — but he was my kidnapper for God's sake — but I couldn't believe it myself that I was walking around with a random guy.

Ammi would be furious.

Heck, I would be furious if my little sister was in my place.

This was so unlike me, but I argued with myself that I'd tried every other way of getting out of this situation. There just wasn't any door visible in my mind — yet. I probably wouldn't be able to run far enough in my abaya, he would catch me before I could have the chance to get out of sight.