Chapter 46: Capture

“I don’t understand why the ship isn’t answering,” said Matias, now seated in the pilot’s seat.

Kate moved forward to stand at his shoulder.

“Try them again,” she suggested.

“I’m not sure about that,” said Matias. “I’m surprised that they’re making no attempt to contact us themselves. They warned us about the storm and they would naturally be concerned for our safety. Something doesn’t feel right.”

“Can you locate the ship from here?”

“I can.”

He pressed a button and a three-dimensional view of space appeared, criss crossed with gridlines. A bright green point of light was visible to one side.

“Is that it?” asked Kate pointing to the image.

Matias hesitated.

“It should be, but…”

“…but what?”

“It’s in the wrong place. They were in geostationary orbit - right overhead - now they’re nearly off our screen.”

“So they moved. So what?”

“Why would they move?” said Matias. “Irvn would naturally stay in the position that allowed the clearest communications and the shortest route for the shuttle’s return. ”

“Why don’t you try them again?”

For a moment Matias didn’t answer.

“I don’t think so,” he said finally. ‘I think we should wait until they try to contact us.”

“But why? If they’re up there, where’s the harm?”

Again, he hesitated.

“That ship might not be them,” he said, almost in a whisper.

Kate felt the hairs stand up on the nape of her neck.

“You think that might be a different ship?” she asked.

“It’s possible.”

“But if you’re right, shouldn’t we be seeing two ships? Our ship - and this new one?”

“We should.”

“Come on Matias,” said Kate, “don’t hold out on me: what are you really thinking?”

“I’m thinking we may have been found by another of our ships.”

“But you told us that was hardly likely,” she said, raising her voice.

“We did. But I can’t rule it out.” he replied.

“So why aren’t we seeing two ships?”

“If I’m right - and I’m not saying I am - Irvn may have been forced to run or -  “ he hesitated.

“Or what?”

“Or our ship was destroyed.”

“No!” cried Kate, her eyes filling with tears “That can’t be true. There has to be another explanation. There must be.”

“I’m sure - that is, I hope - there is,” said Matias, then added: “But the shuttle’s instruments are also picking up the echo of an explosion.”

Kate choked back her sobs. Matias stood up and put his arms around her. This time, she barely noticed the electrical connection.

“How long do we wait?” she whispered into his shoulder, then as another thought hit her, “How long can we wait?”