Chapter 29: Slaveships

Slaveships!” said Laura, as Gemma finished telling the others about her conversation with Irvn.

“Carrying women as if they were just….cargo!” added Kate.

The four women were sitting in the Galley, alone, eating a midday meal. After bringing each of them back there, the four Alien men had left them alone, explaining that they needed to prepare the ship for departure for Mars.

“I don’t believe it,” said Amisha, “This is no different from the slavetrade we abolished 300 years ago.”

“These 10 ships - and you say they’re building more - “ said Laura, “ -could abduct women on an industrial scale.”

“But these guys don’t want to be part of the plan,” said Gemma, “which is why they stole the ship.”

“But what if their buddies found there way here?” asked Kate, “What then?”

“Irvn says that’s very unlikely,” said Gemma.

“But he didn’t totally rule it out?” replied Laura.

“No.”

“You realise this changes everything,” said Amisha thoughtfully. “If there is even the smallest possibility they could be traced here, then Earth is in danger.”

“You mean - from invasion?” said Kate.

“No. I don’t think they’d have to,” said Amisha. “These four seem to have been coming and going as they please for some time. They grabbed us without any difficulty - and without being detected. What’s to stop the same thing happening to thousands of other women?”

“We need to think carefully about this” said Laura, quietly. “It may be a  much bigger deal than just the four of us.”

The group were silent as they took this in.

“On a lighter note,” asked Kate looking at Laura, “how was weightlessness?”

“Unbelievable! Almost impossible to describe. A feeling of incredible freedom, but also a bit scary till you get used to it. You guys really have to try it.”

“And what about Teo?”

“He’s a good teacher. Saved me from crashing a few times.”

“I’ll bet,” said Amisha, drily.

“ And what about you and Cymon,” replied Laura, “did he show you his telescope?”

The others laughed.

“Not in the sense I think you mean,” said Amisha, smiling. “But he does seem quite…taken…with me. Says my face has somehow been imprinted on him since forever.”

“Good line,” said Gemma.

“And did you run?” said Laura, turning to Kate.

“I did. Not a long one, just eight klicks or so.”

The others groaned.

“And Matias, did he just watch or leave you to it?” asked Laura.

“Actually, he ran with me.”

“Must have been hot running in those coveralls they wear?’

“He changed,” said Kate, “shorts and vest.”

“Ah-ha,” said Laura. “And….?”

“And what?”

“Details please,” said Gemma. 

“He’s pretty fit,” said Kate

“Is that fit or - fit?” said Amisha.

“Both,” replied Kate, “tennis player legs.”

“And that reflective bronze skin colour - does that go all over?” asked Laura

“As far as I could see,” said Kate, defensively.

“No mixed showering then?” said Amisha.

“No,” said Kate, laughing.

“Did any of you -,” began Laura cautiously, “touch the guys at all?”

“I did, “ said Kate, “or rather he touched me - and I think I know what you’re about to say.”

“Me, too,” said Amisha. 

Gemma shook her head. “Me and Irvn never touched.”

“Did you feel that… electricity thing, like a shock, or static?” Laura asked the other two.

“Wow, yes,” said Kate, “I’ve never known anything like it. I mean you can sometimes catch static off someone’s jumper, but this is something else.”

“Does it hurt?” asked Gemma.

“No,” said Amisha, “Doesn’t hurt, but it’s a bit…unsettling. Cymon said it’s something that happens naturally between their people. A kind of deeper connection.”

“Not sure about that,” said Gemma doubtfully, “sounds a bit like dating a battery.”

“Coming back to the main issue,” Laura said, “what are we going to do?”

“We’ve got to talk to them about it,” said Gemma, “But maybe wait until we’ve moved away from Earth…?

“Makes sense,” said Kate.

Just then one of the Aliens returned. It was Cymon.

“We’re ready to go now,” he said, “and you’ll need to join us on the bridge for the first part. There is no danger, but there will be some gravity shifts as we get under way, so you’ll need to be strapped in.”

“Bondage games! And so early in the relationship,” said Amisha. “Let’s go girls.”

© Adriana Nicolas 2014