Chapter 2: Curious Cat

The bell rings softly in the student's ears, signaling that it was time for lunch. Mifuyu looks up from her history book and notes, filing away the items into her book bag after standing up from her assigned seat. It had only been a couple of hours and she was already feeling tired. Maybe taking small cat naps in the middle of the day wasn't necessarily ideal when attending a night school. As Mifuyu was making her way to the hallway, her instructor stopped her by tapping her shoulder. She turns around, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

 "Satomi-san, I have noticed you have been faltering in your grades lately in this class."

Attempting to not roll her eyes in displeasure, the ravenette sets down her school bag by a nearby empty desk.

 "I haven't noticed that my grades have slipped," Mifuyu responds, admittedly not sounding too concerned with the unfortunate news.

"You have been focusing on your law and government classes I presume? Wanting to be a lawyer, yes?" The instructor asks before sitting down in his chair.

"Not a lawyer, sir. An investigative reporter." Mifuyu corrects him.

"Ah, yes. I understand you are very much eager to graduate and continue your career path. But please understand the other classes and assignments matter as well. I know this probably is not your favorite class, but..." He trails off, taking off his glasses to wipe the dust particles off of them. "How do you think you did on this test?"The teacher asks, putting his glasses back on. Mifuyu took a deep breath and shifted her feet slightly, trying to peel her eyes away from this conversation.

"I would say I did alright, I guess." Mifuyu nervously predicts and then looks at him again.

He sighs. "Well, with the uncertainty in your voice, you don't sound so sure. I just wanted to let you know how your grades have been holding up. You are dismissed, Satomi-san." Mifuyu does a small bow, and exits the classroom with a soft, "Thank you."

Mifuyu pulls out her cheap bento box and starts to head over to the dining area until she paused after passing a classroom with it's door open. Going backward, she peeks inside to see one of the science labs. Tables aligned the room left to right, also having sinks built into them. It was dark, the only light it had was the bright full moon glowing outside. A chalkboard had also been in use. Several formulas, reminders-- and notes for the previous class. Mifuyu looks behind her shoulder and steps inside the room, gently shutting the sliding door behind her, engulfing her into darkness. It wasn't necessarily a suffocating space, it was quiet, and the light from the moon isn't too bad either.

"Maybe I'll just have lunch in here."

Mifuyu then sits in the further corner of the chemistry lab and opens up her bento box. It is a stereotypical lunch after all. She begins to munch on her small bits of chicken quietly while she scrolls through her phone. Mifuyu then checks the school's news outlet to see if anything interesting was going on but there wasn't. She then looks to her right to look outside the window.

"The moon sure is pretty like this. With no other lights, too."

It was like it had a small blue tint to it. Everlasting beauty and glow. Never ceasing to amaze her whenever it rises into the sky and descends to let their brother arrive to take over. The silence continues to fill the room as Mifuyu proceeds to look outside, now stargazing. She remembers how peaceful it was to count how many constellations were in the sky with her father. There would be so many big dippers and little dippers, the occasional brightest star, and the more fancy shapes. Aside from what her dad did, astronomy did interest him a lot and Mifuyu picked that up as well. She always wondered if that's what he wanted to be instead of also being an investigative reporter. He did love what he did, however. Catching bad people and putting them into prison, working so closely with the police, and always so protective of his sister and her.

Even if Mifuyu wasn't related to him by blood, she still considered him family.

The female student does a heavy sigh, unconsciously moving her left hand to her school bag while still stargazing to touch the black scarf, tied around her handle.

Suddenly, she hears someone walking outside the hallway.

Quickly and quietly, Mifuyu maneuvered her bento box out of view by shoving it in the corner of a desk, got out of the seat, and hid underneath the desk. She didn't want to get another lecture and she'd be damned she would get in trouble over something this trivial.

 "Why was this door closed? I thought I left this open..."

It was a voice she didn't recognize. Mifuyu knew it was a student just by how they sounded.

"That damn Sakamaki thinks he's better than me...?"

A girl? The voice was still unfamiliar to her but it piqued the ravenette's curiosity as to why she was in here ranting about the Sakamaki family. Then again, Mifuyu didn't necessarily like any of them either. In fact, she doesn't like too many people anyway.