12: How the Hell??

How the Hell?? {Lilia}

Everywhere I turned there seemed to be a dead end. A tangle of thorny bushes. A deep, dark path had led me to this ovular section of the labyrinth. I don't know how long I was standing there, but finally I was sick of it.

"How the hell am I supposed to get through this mess?" I demanded to no one in particular.

Galapagos had said that at one point, the Goblin Kingdom had been a light and lively place. Judging by what I had seen so far, that was no longer the case. I wonder why it had fallen so far down and lowly. Galapagos had mentioned some of the reasons. But I didn't really know any of the details. But this labyrinth apparently led to the heart of the problems; the King's castle, where the Goblin King lived. Maybe I could get some answers there? I didn't know why all of a sudden I was so darned curious about any of this. But it had finally dawned on me that this could actually be occurring. It might not be a dream like I had so convinced myself earlier. This could actually be happening...

The thought scared me. I almost wanted to hyperventilate and curl up in a ball and hide under one of these moss-covered rocks. But I knew I couldn't. That was one thing you learn being raised in my family. There is no room for quitting. It simply isn't allowed. And for that, I am actually greatful. My parents had instilled such a value for hard work in me. If there is one thing I am glad about how I was raised, that would be it. It allowed me to, even now, continue on in my desperate situation. I believe it was my mom who taught me that the most. At a very young age she drilled into my head to always continue forward, even in the worst and most undesirable moments.

I pushed on down a random stone path. Creaks and rustles left me curious and hyper-attentive. There must be other creatures out there. And probably not all of them would be as helpful and level-headed as my tortoise friend. I suddenly very much wanted to have him by my side. I had only known him for a short time, sure, but he had been wise and...comforting in a way.

Eyes seemed to follow me from the darkest parts of where I was walking. They reminded me of the eyes I had seen on my way home from school that one day in the forest...

It was very eerie in this labyrinth. I slowed my walk. Was it just my imagination, or was it getting even harder to see?

Suddenly, dark and purple clouds formed around me. Sinister and deep laughter enveloped my ear drums. It suddenly smelled very much of...orchids? The scent filled my nostrils. Two different voices said my name at once. They sounded so far away....

No, Wilhelm.

You can't stop me, Jareth.

You doubt the power I have left too much.

I heard something that sounded like a cry of anguish and  then the colored fog lifted. I could see again. I was alone. The far-off voices were gone.

I was alone.

Or, at least, I thought I was.

A bird sat perched on a green, grassy wall. It eyed me with dark and beady eyes. At first thought, it appeared to be sinister. But then it spread its wings. They were miraculously large for such a small-bodied bird. But even more so amazing was the color of the wings. They had a sheen and shine to them that made them appear multi-colored. I saw all the different colors of the rainbow in its wings. I was in awe of such strange beauty.

"Hello," I said quietly, wondering if it could speak too.

To my actual surprise, it kept silent. I stared for a moment before walking on. The bird followed me. I stopped. The bird stopped. I continued on. So did the bird.

Looks like I have a companion once again.

I continued on, and I heard a song. It seemed so familiar....I tried to place it. And then I did. It sounded like the song in my dreams. The sweet and eerie melody filled my mind, and I started to sway to the music. It was almost hypnotic. This time, unlike in all my recent dreams, there was words. It was sad, it was dark, and it filled me with an off-putting feeling.

But what's confusing you
Is just the nature of my game.
Just as every cop is a criminal,
And all the sinners saints,
As heads is tails,
Just call me Lucifer
'cause I'm in need of some restraint.
So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste.
Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste

I felt threatened. I didn't know if the words were directed towards me directly, or someone else. I don't think I wanted to find out. It sounded as if the singer was cynical, full of hate. It was my curious nature to want to know why the person sang that type of song.

I was starting to get the feeling that I was in for more than a small adventure in this place of the Goblin Kingdom. I braced myself and went onward. I looked around for my flighty companion, but the bird was gone.

I'd never felt more alone.

 ______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: The lyrics above are from "Sympathy for the Devil" - The Rolling Stones