Kaito's Gift

Extra Chapter - If Cortana accompanied Kaito. Takes place before Death Incarnate. Posting on New Years, Midna's birthday and Cortana's death!

This is the day. The day where we get to murder the emperor!

After the boring incidint in Morthal, we decided to leave immediately. Now we're halfway into Solitude.

"Say...won't some of the Penitus Oculatus guards realise who you are?" Kaito asks, continuing to walk beside me. I frown.

"Yes, well...that means I'll need a disguise. Got anything?" I respond, facing towards him. Kaito then stops in his tracks, and casts an illusion spell in his palm. "What is that..."

"It's a spell to change your appearance for 24 hours. A disguise," he explains. He fires the spell at my hair without warning, and I fall back on my arse. Once I gaze to my shoulders, the pastel curls are now dark brown. "See? Change one little thing, and you're transformed into a whole new person. Your face looks familiar, but it won't be a problem."

We reach Katla's Farm in half an hour. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. We both changed into clothes a Chef wears, so now we look professional. Entering the gates of Solitude had us receiving weird stares, but we trailed off to the Castle Dour.

Sure enough, Commander Maro is waiting by the entrance, guarding in front of it. It takes all my power to feign innocence in front of him, and not to just attack him on sight, like what happened in Dragon Bridge with Cicero.

Kaito gives Maro the Writ of Passage, and we silently enter.

Ambling through the hall, a Redguard woman is stirring a cooking pot with the same uniform as us. Before approaching her, Kaito and I exchange looks, nod, and begin our quest.

She looks up, annoyed. "Not another delivery. I told you people, our stocks are fine. Now put whatever you have over there and get out."

Kaito pretends to scoff. "You misunderstand. For I am... the Gourmet!"

I chuckle under my breath, but he nudges me with his elbow. Maro mentioned her name was Gianna. She widens her eyes, choking on her own breath. "The Gourmet! Oh, finally!" she stops her sentence. "It's just..."

"Yes?" he asks.

"There's two of you. I expected there to be one cook, not two."

"This is my partner. We're a married couple who work as one, which is why it only mentions one Gourmet," he says, emphasizing the married part. I mentally cringe, but go along with it.

"We aren't wearing our rings is for obvious reasons. Wouldn't want it to interfere with our skills, hm?" I tell her, and she nods in understanding. She stirs the broth in a circular form, confused. "What is it?"

She shrugs. "Well... it's just that I wouldn't expect a Breton Nord or whatever you are to end up with an elf. It just seems..."

"Enough!" Kaito interrupts, raising his hand midair. "The Gourmet is here to cook, not talk! Let us begin."

Gianna nods frantically, tapping the spoon on the pot. "Oh! Yes, but of course. Ahem." She clears her throat, and explains the details. "The Emperor requests your signature dish, Potage le Magnifique. It's just the cookbook doesn't explain much, and I couldn't add much ingredients to the broth. So what is the first special ingredient?"

"A sweetroll," I reply stoically, and she raises her eyebrows.

"Ooh, how decedent. I never would have guessed it. What next?"

Kaito speaks up. "You must now add a splash of mea -"

"Vampire dust!" I blurt out, interrupting Kaito.