Contract: Kill Lurbuk

Chapter 12

27th of Last Seed, 4E 201

Yesterday was waaay too weird to even comprehend on what happened. So, I'm sitting on my bed cross-legged, staring at the shrivelled-up wall in silence. I've been staring for at least five minutes, and the only thing that breaks my thought is the feeling of something brushing against my neck. In a rush of panic, I fall off the bed and slap whatever that was touching my neck. I groan once realisation hits.

It was just my hair.

The tavern clothes I'm wearing is quite comfortable, I think I might use it for night wear or just peaceful traveling. Walking out of my turf, I must have had a good sleep, because everyone is still in a snooze, including Nazir and Kaito. By Sithis, I'm starving. The small piece of bread on my desk just isn't enough. The mention of a bite to eat has my stomach growling, loud enough to have the Night Mother hissing in my ears. It wouldn't hurt to make breakfast for the family.

I strolled out to the dining area, making my way to the draugr-like area. It was pretty neat, to be living in an abandoned ruin. Sometimes I wonder if one day, some bony corpse will break through the wall and grab my foot. I shiver at the thought.

Looking into the cupboards, I find a jar of honey, cheese, a bucket of apples, tomatoes, and cabbage, a slice of horker meat, salmon (my favorite!), snowberries, butter, milk, flour, human blood, potatoes, salt, and leftover crostatas from the previous lunch we had.

Well, the cooking pot was already set, and all I have to do is prepare a fire. I remove the burnt firewood and replace it, clapping my hands together.

"Now what..." I mumble to myself, careful to not wake any of the other members by my meaningless racket of trying to find tableware. I rummage through the utensils, counting seven for all of us. I take a piece of rope and tie it around my hair, removing locks out from my view. This'll be fun.

I'm deciding to make Elsweyr Fondue. The ingredients are quite easy, Eidar cheese wheels, Moon Sugar, and Ale. For the side, I'll make Cabbage Potato Soup.

"Wow Cortana..." Astrid yawns, gazing at the full breakfast I made for the family.

"Impressive," Nazir comments on my cooking. The rest of the members take a seat, and Babette stares at the soup mixed with blood, as if the food was her live prey. She seems blood-starved.

Veezara also stares in awe. What, you think I can't cook? "Not bad, Sister."

Arnbjorn doesn't hesitate to dive into his breakfast, shoving it in his mouth like a complete imbecile. Festus hesitates before taking a bite, and Kaito picks at his food.

After eating, my appetite was a leftover of salmon, enough to fill up my stomach. I saved the rest of my cooking for the family.

Triumphantly drying my hands on a wash rag, Babette begins to rub her stomach, an agonising expression on her face.

"What's wrong, Babette?" Gabriella asks, patting her back. Babette shakes her head, stumbling across a chair and falls to her knees.

Astrid bends down beside her, and removes hair from her face.

"I think...it's from...the previous contract..." Babette coughs, a wave of vomit landing onto the ground.

"Shh, it's all right...Nazir, why is your face turning green?" Gabriella mumbles. I face toward the two as Nazir falls to the ground, puking as violently as Babette.

Nazir groans, using the dining table for support. "What...was in the food..." he bends down, and Astrid begins to turn pale and green.

Soon, everyone began throwing up besides Kaito, who didn't eat. "I found some cheese in the back of the cupboard, and leftover ale from last Rain's Hand, why?"