Contract: Kill Grelod

Chapter 5

20th of Last Seed, 4E 201

"Are you sure you don't want anyone to assist you?" Astrid suggests the second time, supporting me onto Shadowmere's saddle. I shake my head, placing my supplies inside my satchel and onto our steed.

"I'm fine. Besides, a young boy's request shouldn't be that difficult."

"And what if he asks for you to raid a bandit camp?" she poses, handing me some cruddy scenarios.

"That won't happen," I titter, placing my extra blade into my belt. "Besides, I learned a new spell from Festus. It is pretty exhausting, but at least I'm making progress."

I reassure her once more and she sighs of relief. "Well, be off. This might be a chance, so don't screw this up. Make sure you have those health potions Babette gave you."

"I'll be fine!" I flick Shadowmere's harness, sending him speeding onto the road. The rocky trail is the same as always. My clothes are childish, a school uniform matching Solitude's students. Me, I was homeschooled by my mother. My dad never travelled to Solitude to get an education, so he never taught me. Before my mother was instructing me, I wanted to go into a mixed school, but my father suggested an all Elf education. That led to my mother tutoring me instead, and my father coaching in defending myself. Of course, I was interested in spellcasting to a greater extent.

I finally reach Windhelm's gates, the weather freezing as always. The uniform consists of a long sleeve cardigan with a white dress shirt underneath. A matching skirt also came along. Astrid bought all these from Radiant Raiment from Solitude, where all the other citizens buy their uniforms. The ebony cardigan is not enough to keep me warm as what furs would do, but it is enough, for now. Before I freeze into a statue.

"Excuse me," I inquire the nearest guard after I tied Shadowmere to the stabled. "Where may I find the Aretino residence? I have come to pick up my nephew, for Solitude."

He nods, facing his attention towards me. "The strange little boy? Poor child lost his mother, I'm sorry for your sister's loss. Never knew the young boy had an elf aunt. Travel east, above the Gray Quarter."

I furnish him with five septims and stroll into the towering doors. Bone-chilling as always. By Sithis, why did Astrid have to make me wear a skirt? She should know Windhelm's icy weather.

"Oh, Cortana, you look so adorable!" Babette would giggle, providing me with a helping hand with slipping this outfit on. I just couldn't deny the request for wearing this.

I amble in the direction of the Aretino residence. Turning the door knob, I expect it to be locked.

Well, this makes my job easier.

Heading inside, the little boy isn't preparing the sacrament.

"Who are you?" he question, tilting his head to the side.

"Never mind that. Why aren't you calling for the Dark Brotherhood? You do seek vengeance, do you not?"

He seems confused, but his glee continues to show.

"Another assassin?" he cries, giggling madly. "Oh, the Dark Brotherhood is the best! Two assassins to murder Grelod!"

"Two?"

"You didn't send your friends to me? Oh! But anyway, if your assassin partner didn't kill the old hag already, Grelod is in Riften, inside the Honorhall Orphanage," he replies emphatically.

Must be Astrid that met him beforehand. I pat his head, slightly smiling at the overly-thrilled boy.

"The job will be done."