The Night Mother's Keeper

Chapter 9

25th of Last Seed, 4E 201

I'm groggily awaken by sounds of struggling and heaving. What are they up to now?

Miserably forcing myself out of bed, I stretch to see a bouquet of various types of flowers atop my dresser. I must have put it there during my last contract yesterday. I change into my usual uniform and stumble out of my room, blinking my eyes rapidly. I didn't get much sleep during the night, due to some dreams. Nightmares, you would say, and a little bit sleep paralysis.

"Ah, Cortana, you're awake," Nazir acknowledges my presence, lifting a wooden crate that is big enough for a body to fit in it. "Mind helping us out?"

I overhear grunting on the opposite side of the box, probably Arnbjorn.

"Mother is almost there!" a mad voice was is beside him, and we can all tell he was in deep annoyance.

Babette has her arms crossed over her chest as she watches the men haul the crate. "I don't think Cortana is also built for manual labour," she comments, not minding the corrupt glare I shoot her as I wonder if it is an insult or just a statement. By the looks of her seriousness, I'm sure it is just a comment.

"Move out of the way, you clown!" Arnbjorn barks, losing his patience and temper with the new Keeper.

"Come on, stupid wolf, at least be courteous to our visitor," I groan, "honestly, you're so unsophisticated." I'm moody, tired, and not very pleased they woke me up with their noisy racket. Babette is also unimpressed, and I can tell by her blasé tone.

After pretty much dragging the crate, they finally make it past the steps. Arnbjorn growls at me, ready to attack as soon as he lets go of the handles of the box. I take a step back, ready to stab him in the face, dancing my fingers around the hilt of my dagger.

"Wait! You mustn't fight around the presence of our dearest mother! It'll defy the tenets!" the Keeper cries out, nearly pushing Arnbjorn out of the way. He steps in front of me, taking my hand and bent down in a bowing formation. "This kind lady stood up for poor Cicero! He thanks you for that, by the way," he beckons, an insane grin planted on his lips. Arnbjorn rolls his eyes as he returns to helping Nazir transport the coffin.

Cicero offers me a red mountain flower, but the red colour drips off of the petal, leaving me aghast.

"Cicero has recently killed in order to protect dear Mother, so this was stained with their blood. I thought it was rather appropriate for a lovely member of the Dark Brotherhood!" He then hands out more flowers to Babette, Gabriella, and Astrid.

The coffin is conveyed near the pond, and leaves us forming a small group around it. "So, what's special about this rotting corpse?" Arnbjorn asks, as if this isn't very important.

"Oh no, but the Night Mother is mother to all! It is her voice we follow! Her will! Would you risk disobedience? And surely... punishment?" the jester declares, jumping excitedly. I lean against the crate, since the Keeper doesn't seem to mind.

"Keep talking, little man, and we'll see who gets 'punished,'" Arnbjorn retorts, slapping his fist against his palm. I roll my eyes and sigh.

"Oh, be quiet you lumbering lapdog. The man has had a long journey. You can at least be civil. Mister Cicero, I for one am delighted you and the Night Mother have arrived. Your presence here signals a welcome return to tradition," Festus averts, and I nod along with him, as did most of the others. Finally, Kaito decides to join us, and stands beside Gabriella, attending our chat. I'm guessing they just returned from assassinating Beitild.