1

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
  - Chief Hopper

      I didn't have an alarm clock so I was a bit confused and a lot irritated when the buzzing drew me out of sleep. My annoyance deepened when I stretched to get the phone from the nightstand and was immediately hit with the mother of all headaches. I groaned as I finally came in contact with the device.

"Hello".
"He lives! Honestly bro, I didn't expect you to answer". Kazeem's voice came through.
"Then why'd you call?"
I already knew why. It was for the same reason he did most of the things he did; gossip.

"It's a miracle. I thought Monique would've dried ya up!"
"Who the hell is Monique?"
He laughed comically.
"Jesus man. What'd she feed you? Must'a been a long night. Maybe she snuck out early".

I was a bit startled by a sudden movement beside me. There was a lady in my bed, she had her back to me and the light blanket up to her waist but every exposed part of her was covered in light sweat.
"Oh no man, she here".

"For real? Careful man, that one's clingy". I sighed.
"You'd know". I ran a hand across my face.
"You coming in today?"
"How else ama gonna get paid?"
"Gotcha. Later bruh".

       Laying there for a moment, I tried to recall the events of the night before not because I cared about smashing a stranger but if I ever contracted AIDS, I'd like to know who to haunt.

Most parts of the night were clear to me; letting myself get dragged to the club with Kazeem and his friends, having a couple drinks, a joint, two maybe and watching a group of girls giggle their way into our booth. End of story.

I had never heard anyone snore like the girl lying next to me, it started up like a storm and ended like a cat's meow which made me wonder the sort of dreams she had. I pulled myself up and was struck with dizziness that tempted me to lay back down but I ignored it and reached to the other side of the bed to tap her awake.

She groaned and stretched, muttering words I didn't bother to decipher. I tapped her again, more urgently this time and she turned to face me, yawning. As her eyes landed on me, she sat up and smiled.

"Morning, handsome". She breathed.
"Get dressed". I ordered and got out of bed, beginning the search for my boxers.
"What?" She asked dumbly.
"Put on your clothes and leave". I strutted to the bathroom, giving up on covering my nakedness from someone who had already felt all of it and wasn't bothered in the slightest.

"I need to shower". She whined as I splashed cold water on my face.
"You can do that at your place. I need to head out".
"You can leave me here, I won't take anything I promise".
I paused and returned to the room to see her face as she tried to belittle my intelligence.

She was still seated on the bed with the blanket pooled at her waist, confident baseballs perched on her chest. Her complexion was a shade lighter than mine and she looked pretty regardless of her smudged makeup.

"How did we get here?" She smiled shyly at the question and began rendering her explanation but after hearing her mention three unfamiliar names, I made her stop.
"What happened at the club?" I asked instead.
"We had a few drinks and killed it on the dance floor". She was grinning like I was supposed to be proud of something.

"What did you slip into my drink?"
"Molly?" She scrunched a brow and waited for my reaction with a flirty smile.
"Get out". I turned in the direction of the bathroom.
"But..."
"Put your fucking clothes on and get out".

At the tone of my voice she rose and began scouring for her clothes.
"We were just having fun, I didn't mean to upset you". She finally slipped on her dress.
"You gave me a fucking sex stimulant".
She looked down to my unclad crotch.

"I just wanted a taste". I knew that statement was intended to be seductive but it only worsened my headache.
"I need to work". I walked to the door and held it open for her, making sure to stay behind it in order not to give Mrs. Bradley next door a concussion.

"Alright babe. Am I gonna see you again?" She stopped at the door.
"If you live around, if not have a nice life". I gently pushed her out and locked the door.
I couldn't control the sigh that escaped me.

As I stood before the mirror after my shower, I investigated the burning bruises on my chest and sides, the girl really did make me think of cats.
My head still felt fuzzy and my throat itches but I ignored everything and took my already late ass to work.

       Kazeem was wheeling out the tyre from an elevated vehicle as I walked in, he abandoned it and walked to me, slapping my shoulder and grinning.
"Wad'up? How'd it go with Monique?" He sounded concerned but mostly curious.

"I tossed her out". I moved around him to get to the back room and change into work clothes but he followed closely. The other two guys on our shift were already there.
"Dudeee, that's just gonna spur her on. Monique is a primal, she lives for the chase".

"Monique?" Luke piped in, even Hero was listening.
"Yeah man. She into homeboy here, now". Kazeem explained, doing what he was best at.
"Sorry kiddo". Hero surprised me by saying and moved out. He was older than the rest of us, early 30s by my calculations, covered in tats save for his face.

He was the only white guy working in the garage. I didn't know much about the guy but I respected him because despite not being fond of speaking, he didn't really have any problems with anyone.

"Okay, what the hell is the deal with this moggy?" I questioned.
"She d bomb around here. She's gat command in the street, always gets what she wants. Get ready to lose all the chics man, she that big of a deal". Luke explained.

Having the girls keep their distance sounded more like a relief than a crisis but I sure as hell didn't need a crazy ass entitled squawk all up in my case and messing up my chill.
"She gave me fucking MD". I said as I slid on my trunks.

"Molly? Must have been a good night". Kazeem resumed his teasing.
"Yeah, except I do not remember most of it". O began walking back out and once again, he followed.
"That sucks. I'd want to remember it if I got with Monique". He sound honestly sympathetic which amused me.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get your chance".
I took over the car he had been working on while he stood there, telling me all about the parts of the night that I couldn't remember. Ignorance is bliss sometimes.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Sorry if this is too short, I had to split the chapter into two because I felt it was too long and personally, I don't like lengthy chapters.
Anyway, thanks for giving my new book a chance.
I'll try to update the other half today.