Are You Planning on Killing Me Here in the Forest?

Chapter 18

[Are You Planning on Killing Me Here in the Forest?]

I wake up to a soft knock on my door, and the sound of my mother's voice. It's only 7.

"Kat? There's someone at the door for you"

This is odd, considering I don't know anyone who would be up this early on a Saturday morning. I throw a sweatshirt on and throw my hair up in a quick pony tail. As I shuffle down the steps to the door, I see Dean standing there. A smile effortlessly comes to my face before I can stop it.

"How are you up so early?" I laugh.

"Get dressed and we'll get breakfast on the road" He says, completely disregarding my question. I don't bother repeating my question because I know there is no point wasting my breath.

I come back down shortly and hop into Dean's car. He starts driving and says nothing. We sit in silence until I see us approaching the deep woods.

"Why are we going here?" I ask.

"Be patient Kathy. You're gonna like this" He replies.

"Are you planning on killing me here in the forest?"

Dean pauses for a moment, before he replies. "Only if you would like me to."

"Sounds tempting. I'll pass for today."

As Dean drives further, I begin to recognize the surroundings. As I see the lake in the distance and the string lights hanging around the trees, I instantly recognize where I am. It was only a few short months ago when Dean asked me out as a joke at this very lake. Dean parks the car, and we get out the car. My heart soars as Dean puts my hand in his. He leads us to the same spot where he asked me on a date all those months ago. He stops, then looks at me.

"The last time we were here, I asked you to dinner and a movie as a joke. I didn't know you, and I'm so lucky to have gotten to know you these past few months. So now I'm here, asking you on a real date. How does dinner and a movie tonight sound?" Dean says, with a look of genuine care and emotion. My heart melts.

I get on my tip toes, and kiss Dean O'Connell with my entire heart.

"So is that a yes?" Dean asks anxiously.

"Of course it is" I laugh.

We continue to kiss.

~~~~

Dean O'Connell has my heart. He is so different from when I met him. He shines like a gentleman. Holding doors, giving me compliments, and pulling out chairs for me. Driving back from our date, I feel truly content for the first time in a while. We both promised to shut our phones off for our date, to avoid all distraction and enjoy our time together. I turn on my phone, and my heart stops. 15 missed calls from my mom. 3 missed calls from hospice. 10 texts from my mother. Even more from my sister. I already know what this means. All I do is look at my text messages.

He's gone.

"Dean" I whimper.

"Yes, beautiful?" He replies.

"He's gone."

"Who's gone, Kat?" He asks me, unaware of the bomb he's about to detonate inside me.

"My dad," I sob. I feel like this moment isn't real, and I'll wake up at any moment. Dean pulls over to the side of the road, and takes my hand. He doesn't say anything, just embraces me. He knows that he can't say anything to fix my pain, but his warm embrace means more than any words could. He drives me to the hospital, where my family is. I thank him, give him a kiss, and begin walking through the doors of the hospital.

~~~~

I'm met with Hayden, sobbing outside my dads room. He runs to me, and grabs me in an embrace.

"What took you so long?" He cries. So much pain is in his eyes. None of us were prepared for this inevitable pain.

"Don't worry about that, I'm here now" I say, trying to keep myself together. I begin to walk inside my dads room.

Meghan sits in the corner with an empty face and my mom sits next to my fathers now empty bed.

"They just took him away," my mom sobs. The thought of my father's lifeless body brings tears to my eyes and knots to my stomach.

This is real. I can't comprehend this. I manage to stumble to the chair next to Meghan, and fall asleep into a mindless abyss.

~~~~