On the Bright Side You Get Some Quality Time With the One and Only Dean O'Connel

[Chapter 12]
On the Bright Side You Get Some Quality Time With the One and Only Dean O'Connel

Riverton is a very big town. It spans 15.32 miles across the great state of Pennsylvania. There's a downtown, which everyone calls "Little River." We even have our own shopping mall. We also have a population of a whopping 20,924 people. Out of those people, about 2,000 are in grades 9 through 12.

And only 20 people showed up to help wash the cars at the carwash. And that is including us.

Dean and I had to arrive early to the high school parking lot where the car wash was taking place, to set up. We didn't think that many people would show up, because the kids at Riverton High School would rather be getting laid then help the community. Dean included. And we were right.

The twenty people who had the decency to show up, were mopey and it was obvious that their parents forced them to go. The only person who was ready to help was Bree. But I don't know if she was actually excited to help, or excited to see Dean and I interact together. Bree is convinced that I have a major crush on Dean. I don't. It's just easy to talk to him, and the conversation just flows. Which is surprising since it's pretty hard to talk to Dean without him cracking a dirty joke.

Dean and I ran around the school parking lot like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to get all of the towels in the right place, filling up all the water buckets, turning the speakers on, and getting the cash register ready. One responsibility after another piled up, and I was getting sick of being in charge of the car wash before the cars even started arriving. Few volunteers were even willing to help. Dean on the other hand, loved the power rush. He was bossing the four or five volunteers who were actually willing to do work around like it was second nature.

We all waited for the customers to arrive, not very patiently. The signs around town clearly said that the start time was 10:00, yet at 10:45 not one customer had arrived. Finally, the first car arrived. Everyone was so excited to finally be productive. The driver opened the window, and asked us where the nearest gas station was. The license plate said that the driver was from Florida. We all sighed. That was a tourist, not a customer.

Now it's 11:30, and we only have another two hours to raise money for the family in need. We all sit in chairs, waiting for a car to come. I move my chair to sit next to Dean.

"I feel so bad for the family, they expected so much success to come from this car wash, but instead we haven't even gotten one customer."

"I know, but on the bright side you get some quality with the one and only Dean O'Connel!" Dean says arrogantly.

"Gag me," I say, disgusted.

"Gladly," Dean says and wiggled his eyebrows. Before I have time to shove him in disgust, Deans phone rings, and he answers it.

"Hello?" He says. He pauses, listening to the other end of the line.

"I'm at the car wash, I already told you." He says. Then he pauses, listening to whoever he is talking to reply. He looks mad, I can tell that who ever is talking to him does not have anything good to say. He hangs up.

"I'm so sorry Kat, I know that we just started this, but I gotta go." Dean say, and starts gathering his belongings.

"Is something wrong? Can I help?" I say, trying not to sound to eager, but knowing that I do.

"It's fine, I'm fine," he says harshly, and quickly makes a getaway from the car wash before I can say anything.

Right when Dean left, 10 cars showed up. Lucky him.