Ballroom Night and Initiation Begins

Ellis gets back to the ballroom after his trip to the bathroom and a roam around the campus, and notices Weiss talking and arguing with the girls from before, so he goes over to the spot he presumes is hers and sits down next to it, placing Everett next to him.

Ellis notices a familiar pair of cargo pants standing next to him and looks up to see jack, "You do know that this is where Weiss Schnee is sleeping right? That's why no one else is around."

"Yeah I know, she's a friend of mine."

Jack sits down next to him with one leg flat out and the other arched up, "Good because there is nowhere else to sleep or sit and I'd rather talk to you than get the death stare from the Ice queen alone." Ellis laughs and unzips his jacket, pulling out a book with the title "Travellers along Stardust", and zipping it back up. Jack notices and smiles at it, "I've read that, it's great."

"Yeah, I wasn't really able to find many copies in Atlas so as soon as I got to Vale I went to the nearest place that sold books, Tukson's Boot Trade if I remember correctly."

"I've been there, the dude at the counters nice."

"If he's open tomorrow I might go buy the next book actually."

"The author made another?"

"Yeah, I wanted to reread this before I got it, he called it Aura is Unbreakable."

Jack slumps down a little further and smiles at him, "I'll go with ya', I might pick it up for myself, been a while since I've had a good read."

Ellis looks at him happy, "Sweet, could always use the company."

"You mentioned that you couldn't find many copies in Atlas, are you from there?"

"Yeah, born and raised, it's where I met Weiss, we trained in the same place together."

Jack laughs a little and crosses his legs, "I'm from Vacuo, you got family in Atlas?"

Ellis sighs and closes his book, resting it in his crossed legs, "Sadly no, my dad died when I was seven and my mom passed away last year, she was a huntress... died in a Grimm attack..."

Jack looks down sad for a second, "I'm... sorry I brought it up."

Ellis looks at him still smiling, "Its ok dude, you didn't know." Ellis sniffles and wipes his nose, "What about you?"

"My mom and dad are in Vacuo still, and I have a brother going to the Atlas military academy."

"Soldier?"

"Yeah, I'm worried about him but I'm becoming a hunter so I can't really talk about the dangers."

"I see that."

Jack looks forward and gains a surprised expression, bumping Ellis' arm with his elbow, "Ice on fire, six-o'clock"

Ellis looks at him confused, "What?"

"Ellis who's that?" He looks up seeing Weiss practically fuming while pointing at Jack.

Ellis sways his hands at jack before doing the same to Weiss, "Weiss meet Jack, Jack meet Weiss."

Jack waves at her, "Good to meet you Ice queen."

Weiss just scoffs and goes inside her sleeping bag looking at Ellis, who is still reading, "Where's your sleeping bag Ellis?"

"I didn't bring one, I uhh... forgot..."

"Well that's unacceptable!"

Ellis waves his hands at his, "ShHhhHh! People are trying to sleep."