"Like?" I replied. "Oh, my God. I loved it! I've never had a chance to watch an original German film. I thought I'd have to go to Europe to experience that."

"It was intense!"

"Poor Albert."

"It's a poignant example of the senselessness of war," said Eric. "And the foolishness of idealism, particularly of the nationalistic variety."

Hey, now! Don't group idealism with Nazis!

"Idealism isn't to blame." I shook my head. "The Nazis used idealism to warp people's minds." 

He hummed in thought. "Exactly, idealism has the power to exact sudden negative change."

"So can realism," I retorted. "Used correctly, idealism can help us envision future possibilities and conceive of the impossible."

"Realism can give us a clearer picture," he replied, "because it's based on tangible fact."

"Gotta love Machiavelli," I said in a wry tone. "It is better to be feared than loved..."

"Rationality entails looking at facts and judging them objectively." Eric shook his head. "Why do you have to go to such extremes? Choose a modern, sensible political realist."

Okay, Eric may be awesome, but I'm not gonna let this slide.

"Like Kissinger?" I scoffed. "Realists like him think that morality doesn't play a role in the international arena. Do you think we should accept amorality as a fact of life in politics?"

He fell silent, actually considering my words rather than debating for the sake of it. "I suppose it's fair to say danger comes when either realism or idealism espouses unethical principles."

"Right, so realism isn't better than idealism." I held his gaze and took a sip of coffee. "Any idea is dangerous when it's warped to exert the will of those in authority."

"A universal issue we must all confront." He gave me a warm smile. "Do we follow what authority expects when they are amoral or simply wrong?"

A question I've had to face many times...

Helen came sauntering towards us and gave Eric a friendly hug. "Hey, dude! Did you guys have fun at the MRC?"

"Yes, we were just discussing the movie we were watching," I replied enthusiastically.

"Oh, cool." She turned to Eric. "What was it?"

"A postwar German film set during World War Two," he replied with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. 

"Eric!" Helen exclaimed, furrowing her brow in disapproval. "What did I tell you about that?"

"What?" He shrugged. "It was her choice."

"Oh, Jess!" Helen heaved a heavy sigh. "You have a lot to learn."

"We had a great discussion about the film afterward," said Eric with a slight hint of forcefulness. "And I'll watch another one with her tomorrow if she wants."

A warm fuzziness spread throughout my body. He enjoyed hanging out.

"Okay, hey! If you guys had fun, far be it from me." Helen took out her Holy Cross ID card. "By the way, lunch is on me, Jess."

"Thank you, but I couldn't possibly--"

"Oh, please! Room and board includes two obligatory meals a day. At least once a week I get takeout with my friends," she said with a dismissive wave. "The leftover meals go to waste."