Chapter 35

Niall's p.o.v

"A little more to the left, Li. No.... more to the right, actually. Hang on, slightly more to the left....wait. Yeah....Right there. Perfect."

Watching as Liam adjusted the christmas tree, Niall ran his hands through his hair as he tilted his head, smiling as Liam finally set it down.

Raising an eyebrow, Liam shook his head at the excited look on Niall's face, collapsing onto the floor as he said "Are you sure it's perfect? 'Cause that's the third time you've had me shift it. I love you, Niall, but if I have to shift this bloody thing once more, I may actually go and finish the mountain of paperwork on my desk."

Pushing the box of tinsel towards him, Niall stuck his tongue out at Liam before sitting next to him and returning his stare. "Yes, I'm sure. This time it's perfect. I can't wait to see it all decorated.... It'll be the best tree in this whole damn building, I bet. And anyway, that paperwork could do with being sorted, Li, it's been there for weeks."

Standing up, Niall smiled down at Liam, holding back a laugh at the mock-offended look on the older guys face. "Love you too. Now come and help me decorate..."

Shaking his head, Liam held back a laugh of his own at the determined look on Niall's face, accepting the hand up Niall had offered him and picked up a strand of tinsel. "After you, love."

*********

Stepping backwards, Niall hummed as he took in their handwork, smiling as he examined the coordinating rows of tinsel and baubles, the candy canes standing out amongst the golden tinsel before he reached the top of the tree, his smile fading as he noticed the missing decoration. "Li... Where's the star gone? I could've sworn it was right here."

Turning around, Niall was about to repeat himself when he noticed Liam carrying Kieran through, the star firmly clasped in the ten month olds grip. Grinning at Liam, Niall realised why Liam hadn't added it to the tree yet, pulling out his phone and taking a picture as Liam lifted the baby up, directing Kieran on how to place it on the top of the tree before the two of them stepped back. Letting Niall take Kieran, Liam kissed his cheek as he asked "What do you think, Ni? Does it meet the requirement of 'best tree in the whole damn building' or have we failed?"

Placing Kieran on the floor, Niall watched as he made a beeline for the tree, taking the bauble out of his grip and replacing it higher up on a different branch of the tree. Sitting next to Kieran, Niall ran his fingers through the infants hair as he said "It's better than I could've imagined."

Taking several pictures of his own, Liam smiled at Niall's words, pulling him up off the floor and carrying him under the mistletoe Louis had jokingly placed in their apartment weeks ago before saying "Good. You're cute you know, when you get excited about christmas. You're cute all the time, really, but somehow, your excitement about this holiday is adorable."

Laughing, Niall blushed slightly, hiding his face in Liam's shirt before looking up and realising why they were stood in the doorway. Returning Liam's smile, he stretched up wards, wrapping his arms around the back of Liam's neck before he leant up and kissed him, a giggle escaping his lip's as Liam managed to lift him off the floor before kissing him again, grinning as they pulled apart. "I'm cute all the time?"

Setting Niall's feet back on the floor, Liam nodded seriously before taking a picture of Niall. "You heard me. All the time."

Smiling again, Niall pulled Liam back to the living room, both of them stopping as they saw Kieran and the arrangement of decorations scattered around on the floor near their son. Picking Kieran up, Niall ignored his protests and whines of "Daddy....." as Liam began to replace all of the baubles, beginning to bounce Kieran up and down. "C'mon lovebug, the baubles aren't toys.... Leave the tree alone, yeah?"

Pouting, Kieran shook his head, not fully understanding what Niall had said but disagreeing regardless. Reaching out towards Liam, Kieran waved his arms in the direction of the tree, shaking his head again before saying his newly learned favourite word. "No."

Scooping Kieran up into his arms, Liam laughed a little, mock-gasping as he said "No? C'mon, lovebug, leave daddy's christmas tree be, hey? Or daddy might get upset. And we don't want that, do we?"

Staring up at Niall, Kieran pouted at the word 'upset', once again wriggling and reaching out for him, wrapping his little arms around Niall's neck before hiding his head in Niall's shoulder. Shushing Kieran, Niall wandered over to the playpen and placed the baby down, squatting down by the pen and watching as Kieran grabbed onto his favourite stuffed toy, the ten month old beginning to hold a whole conversation with the creature.

Retreating over to where Liam was stood, Niall smiled up at him, biting his lip before wrapping an arm round Liam's shoulder. "I have no idea how he does that."

Linking his gingers through Niall's, Liam pulled the two of them onto the couch, collapsing against the cushions as he asked "Does what?"

Resting his head on Liam's shoulder, Niall glanced in the direction of the playpen, sighing as he noticed how Kieran had discarded the soft toy and was now playing with his own toes as he said "How he manages to go from being all happy and bright to miserable and cranky in the space of a minute."

Laughing again, Liam kissed Niall's cheek. "It's because he's part you, love."

Gasping, Niall elbowed Liam, sticking his tongue out at him as he winced before sitting up and crossing his arms.

Wincing still, Liam ran a hand though his hair before he tried again. "Probably because he refused to have his nap today."

Smiling at Liam's attempt to escape from the hole he'd been digging himself, Niall rolled his eyes as he said "You're an idiot."

"Only for you, love." Grabbing the TV remote, Liam flicked through the list of channels before putting a random christmas themed movie on, wrapping an arm back around Niall's waist as the younger guy rested his head back on his shoulder. Looking up at Liam, Niall bit his lip as he said "Li.... have you noticed you do that?"

Meeting Niall's gaze, Liam shrugged slightly as he asked "Do what?"

Sitting up, Niall linked their fingers together again before saying "Call me love."

Looking away, Liam ran hand through his hair again as he asked "Is it a problem? 'Cause I can stop you don't like it."

Leaning closer into Liam's side, Niall shook his head as he said "It's not a problem, Li. I kinda like it. No ones ever called me that before, Li."

Kissing Niall's cheek, Liam relaxed back against the sofa, staring the TV for a few seconds before he said "Good. Merry christmas, Ni."

Looking up at Liam again, Niall mumbled "Merry Christmas to you too." before he stretched up and kissed Liam properly, Liam's hand grabbing onto his hip, his lips parting with a pant before Liam deepened the kiss, his tongue brushing against Niall's. Pulling back, Niall panted slightly, resting his head against Liam's chest and grinning up at him before the two of them turned their attention to the film, Liam's arm wrapped around his waist.