"The fact that she broke into one of our hideouts and nearly stole shit. She can no doubt do that to us if we're not careful."

"We could say that about anyone we know."

"Lex practically beat you up."

"She can defend herself. Are you only anxious because of-"

"Yes, Minho," Chan interrupted him mid-sentence, then sighed. Minho understood why he was resistant, but it didn't stop him from being slightly annoyed. Lex was his friend.

"Am I allowed to meet her?"

"Of course, but remember what I said."

"Understood."

~

"Fuck!" Lex shouted, having accidentally opened the fridge on her chin. She cursed herself for being so accident-prone, especially since she was agile in combat. This was just embarrassing. Lex closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, only breathing out when the pain began to subside. She needed to stay focused if she wanted to keep herself out of harm's way.

Grumbling, she fixed herself lunch as she had skipped breakfast. She heated up a small tray of frozen lasagne in the microwave. Around 8, she had woken up and went for a jog around her area, stopping for a break on a bench. When she got home, she did some weight training and push-ups before taking a shower. It was now almost midday and she was hungry. She had to admit that she'd been thinking about Minho and when she's going to get the opportunity to meet him again. That Chan guy wasn't too keen on her.

Her phones chimed suddenly from the living room, her eyes snapping open from the sound. Running a hand through her hair, she entered the living room and picked up her phone.

Minho: Hey Lex, do you want to meet up sometime this week? Message me when you're free and I'll sort something out :-)

A surge of excitement rushed through her and she broke out into a smile. Well, that was convenient. Lex snorted at his use of the emoticon but smiled nonetheless. Immediately, she began typing back.

Lex: Sure thing, I'm free any time this week

That wasn't technically true, but if Minho picked a day she was sure she could work around it. Lex placed down her phone to tie up her slightly damp hair. The message was read within a minute and he was typing back a reply.

Minho: Wanna meet tomorrow? At the Hayfair Markets?

Lex: Yeah sure, what time?

Minho: Around 6? Keep low profile

Lex: No problem, I'll meet you there.

Minho: Great, see you then :-D

Lex threw herself on her couch and sighed. She was elated at that moment. She missed Minho so much and found herself reminiscing about the times with him while they were at the orphanage. They would sit in the yard of the orphanage and spoke to each other mainly. During the dandelion season, they'd pick the fluffy ones, make wishes and take turns blowing away the white wisps into the sky. One of her wishes had been to remain friends forever, being the young timid child she was. Lex had been 9 and Minho had been 10. It was the worst day of her life that she could remember when he left. She had lost her best friend and brother that day, she was all alone.

Another notification alerted her phone and she lifted it up to her face. She immediately stood up and began heading out. She had business to tend to.

~

Lex entered the club and strutted up to the bar. The place was full but always seemed to have seats available. It was situated underground near a subway that was mainly used by people who couldn't afford better transportation. But it did the job, didn't it?

The bartender, Manny, nodded his head when he spotted her. She nodded back, her face partially concealed by her hood. A few weeks back she had stolen cartons of a specific brew he wanted. It was from a vineyard far off, and she managed to remain hidden. His payment for her was delayed, and she let him off easy since he paid her extra. Minimal words were exchanged between them. These were just one of the many jobs she did for people. They wanted their hands clean.

As she was on her way out, a man shouting 'party' tripped into her and spilled half his drink on her and the rest on himself. The parts that landed on the jacket rolled off in droplets but her shirt wasn't so lucky. She cringed her nose as the scent of beer filled her nostrils, and a portion of the drink soaking the bottom of her t-shirt.

"Watch where you're going," Lex snarled, shaking off her from her jacket. The man straightened and sneered at her.

"You watch it, bitch," he snapped, "I'll make you pay for my next drink."

"Get fucked, psycho." Lex barged past him but was stopped by a strong hand gripping onto her jacket, pulling her back. She spun around defensively, her hood falling from her head. She came face to face with the man, whose breath reeked of beer.

"Listen here bitch, you don't want to mess with me."

"What are you gonna do? Throw more beer at me?"

"I'll make you regret crossing me."

Lex shook off his hand and shoved him back, standing broadly to her full height. She was barely shorter than him but knew she could have the upper hand if she played her cards right. The man stumbled back a few steps before lunging at her with a growl. She lurched to the side and brought her elbow back up to meet his head, knocking him hard. By then, they had managed to attract an audience who were interested in the interaction. No one had plans to stop them.

"Hey! Take it to the ring." A man to her left shouted. A hand pushed her forward and soon she was being herded through the curtain in the corner she spotted earlier. From the tears in the curtain, she could see there were white lights brightening the room as opposed to the red that washed over the bar. Turning her head around, she could see the man being led to the same room a few steps behind her. Lex realised she should avoid this, but her stubbornness refused to let her. The thought of letting this sweaty man get the last word didn't sit right with her.

Lex didn't move as willingly as the man did, who was swaying slightly on his feet and was shoved into the ring first. The room was lit up by headlights from the ceiling and there was a DJ booth against the middle of the wall that had 3 people in it, one had a microphone in front of him. In the center of the room was a pit that was carved out in a circle, made of only concrete with smears of blood that had been scrubbed poorly. Luckily it looked mostly dry from what she could see. Lex shrugged her shoulders to get the people herding her move away and stepped into the ring herself. She didn't usually fight in the ring. Usually, the people that fought were either drunk, itching to brag about their strength, or just wanted the cash prize. Lex had only done it a few times when she was 18, after watching from the sidelines and practicing herself alone. Now she was here.

The announcer's voice boomed from speakers she hadn't noticed, declaring a fight between two 'newbies' to the ring. The fight began with the two circling each other. Lex raised her fists and got into a defensive stance, the man mimicked her actions. The man was first to pounce as he threw a punch at her head, but she managed to duck. She spun around, grabbed his collar, and elbowed him hard in the face, then finished with a right hook. His eyes rolled to the back of his head and collapsed face-first to the ground, a small pool of blood dripping from his nose. Lex froze in shock at the now unconscious man at her feet. Before she could gather her own thoughts, her arm was being held up by a lady in a crop top, announcing her as the winner. She glanced back down at the man, still unmoving. Shit. She hadn't meant to. She hoped he wasn't dead.

Lex collected the money and watched as the audience dragged the man off stage, feeling a spike of guilt. Suddenly the money she held felt dirty.

~~~

Published: 20th October 2020

I wish past me left notes to work from after I stopped writing for a bit :)

Vote if you can! ♡