61: Turning Tables

"I thought you were the only other woman near my age." Lex said as they set off for the big boss' office together. If she recalled correctly, Sana had said every other woman was older than them, and it was hard to believe Lisa was older than them by much. 

"Well, I mean Lisa is too I guess," Sana murmured nonchalantly, shrugging. Her tone had an air of agitation that was hard to miss.

"You've got beef with her?"

"Sort of." Sana turned left down the corridor, Lex following after her. "Okay, yes."

"Wanna share?"

"When she first came here, it was very shortly after me, she was very arrogant. She walked around like she owned the place and took shortcuts sometimes." Sana scoffed, a small frown setting into her face. It wasn't common for her to have rivalries with her own members, but Lisa tested her. The feeling was mutual and they never resolved what it was between them. 

Lex raised her eyebrows but didn't respond. She wasn't even sure what to say. Lisa had seemed nice enough. But that was only first impressions. What mattered was how Lisa treated her after. 

"The problem is, she's capable and too damn good at her job to be kicked out. So she gets to stay." Sana continued, her voice laced with contempt. It was better when they stayed out of each other's way. They could pretend to be civil for everyone's sake but wouldn't want to be left alone in the same room. 

Lex had trouble being on her side. Sounds like how I used to be. And she wasn't particularly sure if she hate the person she used to be, unsure of who she even was now. She was never a people-pleaser but she wanted Sana as a friend.

"So why does she hate you?" Lex asked. 

"Because I hate her."

"That's it? You just avoid each other? Then act passive-aggressive when talking?"

"Yep, and I'd like to keep it that way," Sana concluded. 

Lex wasn't sure why she was having a morality crisis over it. She thought Sana was mature but everyone had their quarrels. Maybe Chan softened her up. Or maybe it was not wanting rivalries with people she was supposed to work with. When Hyunjin had despised her, it ruined her experience in the gang. 

They stopped in front of a door, the only room in the corridor. She realised it was the middle floor. She supposed it was the most convenient for everyone. It would save her the walk no matter where she was.

"Can... you wait for me?" Lex asked quietly. She hated feeling vulnerable and weak, she wanted her confidence back. Why did she have to grieve? Because you're human.*

Sana leaned against the wall, smiling. "Yeah, sure."

Lex took in a deep breath and knocked on the door. Sana gave her a reassuring nod. There was confirmation from the other side. With one last look at Sana, Lex opened the door and stepped in. She made sure her back was straight and her head was held up high. It wasn't quite what she was feeling, but it was fake it till you make it. 

The room was made out of the same smooth stone as the rest of the bunker was. A cool breeze brushed her face, she spotted the vent in the corner. Filing cabinets were pushed against the wall with random binder folders placed here and there. It wasn't as decorated as Riku's office, she recalled. It might've been the cultural difference.

A middle-aged man sat behind the large desk, both his elbows on the table with his hands grasped together formally. If it was supposed to intimidate her, it only made her slightly uneasy. She missed the days where she was arrogant and hard-headed. When she wouldn't bat an eye at anything.