Chapter 54

*First and foremost, Happy New Year to all! This chapter is shorter, but I didn't know how to break one long chapter. So I'm double updating today :) Yaayyyy

Zayn’s POV

“Zayn, can we sleep in your room again?” Waliyha asks, as I carry the car seat upstairs. I simply nod; not confident in my ability to say anything, before moving up the steps just ahead of the girls. The way that they’re all looking at me makes me want to crawl into a fucking hole and die.

“It’s bath time, Rai,” I grumble once we reach the room. She takes my hand, the first comforting gesture I’ve received from any of them since leaving Charlie in the middle of the God damned city. Grabbing Marley for a bath as well, I decide to get the girls settled and ready for bed before dealing with any of this shit.

I know I pulled a dick move by leaving her in Times Square-and believe me, Safaa reminded me of that the entire way home. Not to mention, Safaa’s not even speaking to me as of now. Can’t say I blame her. But this is Charlie’s fault too. She shouldn’t have been so fucking stupid.

And then she flirted with that dickhead on top of being an idiot? I should have kicked his--

“Zayn, do you have the soap I use at home?” Raihana squeaks, looking up at me doe-eyed. Uh…no…no I don’t…

“Uh,” I scratch the back of my head before rolling up the sleeves of my sweater and attempting to adjust the water. “I don’t. How about you use some of this one? It’s Marley’s special soap and I’m sure he’d love to share with you.” I point to the purple bottle of lavender stress relief shit. I don’t how many bottles of this we have lying around. Every fucking time I leave the house, it seems like Charlie’s telling me to bring a bottle of either the lotion or body wash back…

Charlie.

I’m like, a super asshole.

I’ve got half a mind to go back out and get her, even though she’s only like, 10 minutes away. Yeah, that’s what I’ll do…after I bathe the kids. Because who knows if she’ll even come back here tonight?

I quickly finish up with Raihana and Marley, which was more difficult than I imagined. I used to bathe all three of my sisters at one time or another, but these two together is a fucking nightmare. I had to hold Marley, which involves me all but short of getting in the tub; not to mention, Raihana’s playing fucking aquarium with all her little bath creatures; splashing water all around the place and making animal noises. I mean, it’s hilarious, but water’s now everywhere, dripping from my pants, my forehead, drenching my sweater and some of my hair, and even lining the white tile of the bathroom floor.

So needless to say, bath time took a little longer than expected. But I’m hoping that I can somehow still manage to catch Charlie. She’s right; we do have to talk about this, which kills me to admit, because talking? Shit’s overrated if you ask me. But I’ll do anything for her.

Bringing Marley and Rai upstairs, I set them all up in the bed before feeding the baby, burping him and laying him down-luckily after a warm bath he passed right out. My sole piece of advice to Waliyha and Safaa was-and I quote-‘I’m going to get Charlie, you’ll stay here. Don’t touch anything. Call me if you need me. I’ll be right back.’ I probably shouldn’t leave them alone, but getting them all dressed and piling them back into the car would only waste more time; time that I really don’t have.

I don’t even change my wet clothes as I race downstairs and grab my boots. But just as I’m slipping them back on, the door opens.

Charlie doesn’t say anything or even look at me as she sniffles and carries herself into the house, moving towards the staircase. I see her wipe around her eyes before disappearing up the stairs.