Chapter 16

Charlie's POV

*Italics indicate song lyrics

I bring my fist to the door. “Danielle!”

“It’s open!”

I slip into the room, padding across the plush carpet. “Favor.”

“Shoot,” she mumbles, laying on her stomach and facing the window. 

“I know you’re probably busy, but is it at all possible for you to watch Marley tonight? Luke has this gig and--” I begin to beg, but she cuts me off.

“No need to even finish. And you know he’s my fave; both Marley and Luke,” she smiles, standing up and walking over to me. She looks like she’s pretty much ready for bed with her pink plaid shorts and white tank top. Or maybe catching up on homework, since I see her glasses perched on the top of her head and her MacBook and notes spread out all over the bed.

The poor girl has to balance competitive dance and being a chemistry major, which is like, absolute torture. But she’s really good at it, and really determined, so it works for her.

“You know you’re the best, right?” I give her a quick hug and she smiles again. I feel kind of bad for her actually, because she was in a funk when Liam broke up with her. And she’s never seemed to have gotten out of it. Maybe I’ll set her up with someone?

But I couldn’t even set myself up with anyone, so there’s that.

“Yeah, yeah. Enjoy your night out with Lukey bear,” she chuckles, crossing her arms in front of her.

“Oh, I will,” I wink on my way out the door, but I quickly remember something else. “Do you think, I could like, borrow something to wear? I don’t really have--”

“Of course.” She puts a hand up to stop me once again. “As long as you promise not to come back pregnant again,” she teases, to which I roll my eyes. I don’t know why everyone always says that.

“Oh I can guarantee that’s not happening,” I reply, my voice raising slightly in the middle.

//

And since I had no idea what one even wears to her boyfriend’s show, Danielle didn’t really have her work cut out for her. But nonetheless, we came up with black skinny jeans, a baseball tee, and a red flannel wrapped around my waist. She suggested that I wear Timbs with it, which is different for me, to say the least. Because any day where I’m not in my Toms or Converse is one for the books.

Luke and I arrive together, hand in hand, and I’m surprised at how many people are here. I didn’t know his band was that popular (not that they wouldn’t be, but I’m just saying; they’re not famous or anything. Ok, I’ll shut up now.) Anyway, Luke seems to have kept it pretty simple with his outfit after he changed; a black and gray baseball tee with red stars on the ¾ length sleeves, and black skinny jeans. I spot the other guys already on stage setting up, getting the equipment together (Luke and I were kinda late; it took me longer to get ready than I thought. Plus, who doesn’t love a good make out session before a gig?)

“So, we’ve already got a table over there if you want,” Luke chuckles. He grabs me by the waist, planting an intentionally sloppy kiss on my cheek.

I glance over at the table. And as luck would have it, who would be sitting there, but Zayn (and there are others too, like Louis, Niall, Sophia, Liam, Harry and a red haired girl I’ve never seen before.) But Zayn is the only one I manage to really see.

“I swear I didn’t know he was gonna be here,” Luke sighs. “Do you wanna sit up in the front? There’s like, one chair over there,” he points to a single chair right smack in the middle of the performance area. And as tempting as it sounds right about now, I’ll look even more lame sitting by myself.