Chapter 6

The powerful headlights blinded me, I felt like I was going to pass out. Thalia and somebody else was screaming next to me and suddenly everything stopped just as it has started and I realised that I was the one who was screaming with Thalia. Thalia looked at me, her eyes filled with fear. We breathed hard our hands on our chests. Minutes later she looked at me "That was close". Her voice shook as if she was about to cry. I tried to talk, but words failed to cooperate with me. We had been seconds away from a serious accident. I put my hand on Thalia's shoulder and shook my head, we stared at each other for several minutes. Finally I said "Let's just go home, I'll drive" I was afraid she was too shaken up to drive anymore, Thalia didn't argue. We got home, I couldn't even remember driving home, my brain was soo fogged up, I couldn't believe what had happened, we could have died and got seriously injured, who did it?, was it an accident or on purpose? It didn't seem like an accident, but why would anyone want to hurt two innocent girls? What did we do?. I kept thinking these over and over again until suddenly Thalia's voice broke my thoughts. "Was it on purpose? Did someone really want to hurt us?" I shook my head, " I don't know". We sat silence for a few minutes then suddenly my cell phone began to ring. I grabbed it and looked at it. The words were a blur to my eyes, but I could just make out..... omg something good was finally happening, it was Miranda! I jabbed my finger on the answer button and said " Hello Miranda?" Thalia who had been slumped on the sofa all this time sat up straight as if she got electrocuted. "Renee? How are you? I'm very sorry I never called or answered any of your calls". Her voice sounded weak and ill. "It's alright, you've called now. We've been soo worried. Are you ill? Why do you sound soo weak". "I've been very busy working on an important story and I caught a flu for some time, enough about me, how is mom and how are you?". "Both of us are doing really well, Thalia is here". " Oh is she? Tell her I said hi, listen I can't talk long, I've got to go, tell mom that I called and I won't be calling for some time. So don't be worried about me" "Okay, take care of yourself". "One more thing" Miranda said. "Remember that story mom used to read to us when we were little about 2 sisters and one of those sisters was betrayed her best friend??. I was bewildered. "Yes I do, why all of a sudden?". "Nothing I just wanted you to know how much I love you. Bye". "Bye call soon" and then she hung up.
We went downstairs for dinner. I was telling mum about how Miranda called and she has a flu and so. Thalia excused herself and went back to my room.
"Hello?? Laptop techs??" "Yes, how can I help u??" "Remember I came to your shop earlier today??" "Can you please tell me your laptop appointment number?" "Laptop number 406" "Oh, Yes ma'am how can I assist you?" "Can you make my laptop one day before the day you told me to come and take it??" "I'm sorry ma'am I have lots of other laptops to finish repairing before yours.. I can only give it to you on Sunday " "But I'm going back to Spain on Sunday" she told. "What if.. What if I pay you double the amount?? Huh? What if I pay you double the amount Im supposed to pay? How do you like that??" He stopped and considered it for a moment. "O..Okay then... So you are going to pay me 284 ringgits... just to make your laptop by Sunday evening??" "Mhm yes"
"Fine by me then... come and collect your laptop on Sunday evening" "Great! Thanks!" She put the phone down and returned back downstairs.