Chapter 13

I stared at the screen. Unable to process what the bloody hell was happening. In the picture there was a newspaper caption, and a picture... a picture of my sister.

Missing journalist
Miranda Valdez, a Spanish journalist discovered missing on July 12th 2020. Her apartment was found in a mess, seems there has been a struggle. Her colleague Franton Priscill states that she had not made an appearance in Blaincrift journalism, her place of work for nearly a week. And went to her home on 12th July, only to find it in a mess. Evidence will remain confidential. The police are carrying out the investigation.

I felt fuzzy, nauseous. I continued staring at the caption. my breathing was shallow and harsh.

Somewhere in the background I heard Kate's voice. I didn't even realize that I hadn't hung up.

After about a couple of minutes. The news started to sink in. And suddenly, without warning I burst into tears. I crouched into my chair as tears poured down my cheeks.

I tried to stop, I had to stand, go tell my mom the news, but my feet wouldn't move. Sobs racked through my body. It took about 5 minutes to compose myself. Once I had dried my tears, I stood up picked up the laptop and started to make towards the door in a trance like state.

I had to show my mother.. she had to know.

I made my way down the stairs, every single step made me weaker and weaker. When I reached the living room, I saw her using her phone with a wide smile on her face.

In less that a minute that smile would vanish.

My mother noticed me enter the room and looked up while saying "Renee dear your dinner is on the tab.."

She stopped mid sentence when she noticed my tear streaked face and and red eyes. Her eyebrows furrowed in concern as she quickly got up and made her way over to me.

"Renee what's wrong?, why are you crying?, did something happen?".

I opened my mouth, but no words came out.

I wordlessly handed the laptop. She took it with a frown and began to read the post. I watched as her face changed from frown to curiosity to shock. Her face paled considerably and her lips and hands began to tremble.

"No..No No this isn't happening" My mom muttered shaking her head vigorously. And suddenly she fell back on the couch. Still in shock. And gradually tears started to pour down her face.