41 | The One With 2018

Start from the beginning

News of Madhu's birth was not well received by my relatives, especially by Aunt Vimala. She banged her chest and wailed that his brother's family bloodline had been polluted. Whatever the fuck that meant.

Madhu was an amazing child. She was adored by everyone, especially Madhav. Madhu was growing. Nothing was fascinating than how she grew so fast. By six months she was eating rice cereal, bananas and mashed potatoes. She respond whenever I called her by her name and she was starting to speak. She clapped her hands and squealed every time Power Puff Girls or Paw Patrol aired on TV.

Madhav visited us on May that year. Madhav was surprised seeing Madhu take slow and steady footsteps towards him, with a sunflower in her hand. He tried to control his tears. His stay was short and he promised to return again in October.

He continued sending the flowers every month. By October I was receiving 29 red tulips and Madhu got 12 dandelions. He returned just as promised, a day before Madhu's first birthday. This time he wasn't alone. He brought the whole family; except Shyaam who had work and Devi who was busy with final exams. Madhu and I went to the airport to receive the whole family.

This time Madhu ran to him, shrieking in happiness. Madhav carried her into his arms.

The few days that followed were the best. Amma and Yashoda Ma were happy to see Madhav and me together. Madhu sat on RK's lap showing him her handprint and finger print art book. Madhav and I spent more time together. Of course, we talked and laughed like best friends, but whenever his eyes were locked with mine, I saw galaxies instead of just pupils. Whenever he looked at me I felt as if every ounce of breath was seized from my lungs. Every time he hugged me it felt like he was vanquishing all my stress.

Madhav enjoyed feeding rice cereal to Madhu. Somehow she gladly ate everything Madhav fed her. With me she would throw tantrums and be stubborn. They played with Madhu's toys and he read to her every night. She didn't understand a word, but she looked at Madhav, with her enormous black eyes as he read the story to her. Madhu could speak a few words like 'ma-ma' 'no-no' 'boo-boo', the best was how she called Madhav 'na-na'. It reminded me of how I used to call my own father.

Madhav helped me make a nice chocolate cake for Madhu's first birthday. We laughed and fought over who gets to mix the batter. I let him do it at the end. He loved dipping his finger in the batter, and I had to swat his hand away every single time. We baked a beautiful delicious cake and Madhu couldn't stop licking the chocolate icing. It was a small party; but the gifts that we got were not small. Amma and Devi gave Madhu a necklace with a pair of gold earrings with green stones. Yashoda Ma and RK got Madhu a gold chain with a ruby encrusted butterfly pendant. Shyaam had sent a blanket made of wool of Australian sheep, which he ordered with his first ever lawyer's fees. Madhav's gift was the most expensive, he had purchased a yacht along with an 8 acre land in India. Eight because she was born on the 8th of October. Oh thank god she wasn't born any later. This isn't the first time he gave expensive gifts.

He had given me a walk-in-closet filled with expensive brands as a wedding gift, along with a penthouse apartment and a hell lot of Kanchipuram saris. Let's not forget that he gifted the expensive jewelry that I wore for the wedding. His thala Deepawali for me: a grand red zari worked sari was the simplest gift ever I guess. The best gift I ever got from him would be his untainted love. 

To be continued...

Stay in touch! I'll see you soon with Chapter 42!

Keep the votes and the comments flowing!

Also let me know,

-What did you like about this chapter?

-What are your thoughts about the caste system?

-How do you like the story so far. Pssttt we crossed 100K reads. Now is the time to let me know. 

Also going back to an important question I have been asking since the last 2 updates:

What is Madhav trying to say by giving Shree so many tulips? What's so special about tulips? Especially red ones? 

Check out the inline comments to the link for the explanation.

Announcement

Hello readers,

In this chapter I have touched on a very sensitive topic ie, the cancerous caste system. Caste is nothing but an oppression mechanism.

What happened to Shree in this chapter has happened to a far relative sister of mine. She was reprimanded by most the relatives for eloping with a man from a lower caste. The man she eloped with despite his low caste was an American green card holder and earned handsomely.

Relatives would call her and abuse her for her audacity. They cursed her, her husband and their unborn child. But now both of them are living a comfortable life in the United States now, with their newborn son. My distant brother in law is one of the most hardworking and the most caring individual ever.

Caste is something we should NOT use to belittle a person nor to prioritise a person. 

Wishing you all peace!

Regards,

Sathu.