Chapter 63 Never the same

Start from the beginning

Cyrus nodded. "So I have heard." He sighed and ran a hand across his face. He was still exhausted and now that the whole event was behind him, all of his emotions caught up with him.

"Are you alright?" Ariane asked him concerned.

"I will be," Cyrus said, "after a good night's rest."

"At least Boncini is secure," Ariane said, "it is one less thing to worry about."

"It is still going to take a long time for them to recover," Cyrus answered, "we lost a whole regiment. Iason lost his brother. People at Boncini died. The estate is badly damaged. I almost lost Vara. If Torcan hadn't been there..." He sighed.

"But she is alright now?"

"Rattled," he answered, "but safe and sound. It doesn't help though that Iason has departed so soon."

"Departed?" Ariane questioned.

"To bring home his brother's remains," Cyrus clarified, "Vara stayed at Boncini to make arrangements for the injured and to oversee the repairs. There is so much to be done."

"Vara is strong," Ariane comforted him, "she is resilient. And you left soldiers behind to take care of things. Perhaps when my brother returns home, he can check in on her."

Cyrus shook his head. "Your brother will take the Southern route back to Tirèze. He'll cross the border at Valais."

"So... you will be going back then?" Ariane asked in a small voice.

"No," Cyrus said, "Iason should return in a few days. The soldiers we left behind will send word if they have need of anything. And I am needed here. My father has a lot to deal with and I'm taking over some of his duties." He sighed. The attack on Boncini had reminded him on how short life really was, how quickly you could lose it all. "I want to spend more time with Lucius. He is growing up so fast."

"He will like that," Ariane smiled gently. "He has missed you. You are right. Time goes by so fast. It feels like yesterday that I held him for the first time. Now he is too heavy for me to even lift."

"I have been thinking lately," Cyrus said, "I don't remember much of my brothers. I was young when they passed. Some even passed before I was born. It isn't good for Lucius to grow up alone."

Ariane nodded. "You are right. He needs playmates," she agreed softly, "are there any of the lords that have boys his age? We could invite them to court to be raised here."

Cyrus gave a nod and a gentle smile. "We could do that. And we will. But that was not what I was referring to."

Ariane blinked confused. "What do you mean?"

He leaned over and his smile turned amused. "Why don't we try for another child?"

...

It was the second time today she visited the barracks where the injured had been placed. Boncini soldiers, along with men from Tirèze and Salvire. Ranks made no difference here. They were al brothers in arms, fighting the same battle.

When the Salvire men had returned home, Vara had sent a missive with them to inform lord Izem of the state of his injured soldiers that had stayed behind to recover. She had not heard back from him since.

Did he care so little for the men under his command?

"My lady," Drusus sighed when he noticed her, "you should not be here so often. I am sure there are many matters that require your attention. The men are well taken care off."

She smiled at the captain of her guard. "I appreciate your concern, Drusus, but these men risked their lives to defend my home. There isn't much I can do in return , so at least allow me to see to their comfort." She sighed. "Besides, it takes my mind off things. I wish Iason had returned. But at the same time, I know he needs to be with his family now."