35 ~ Broken

Staring at Aspen's sleeping face, I try to focus on him.

Anything to make the sickening thoughts stop in my mind. Sleep was impossible. I tossed and turned all night. My wrists and waist hurting from invisible bruises. My face hurts from how swollen it is and my head is pounding.

I didn't even drink that much.

My alarm goes off and I crawl out of bed. Ignoring my reflection, I throw on leggings and a sweater. I'll try to find it in me to care about what I look like later.

Attempting to brush my hair back, I throw a book at Aspen. "Wake up."

"Come here." He mutters, holding his arms out. It warms my heart, like we're an old married couple. But we're not. We're not even dating.

"No." I look in the mirror, not even phased by the fact I can barely see my eyes. Thank God I won't be seeing mom for a couple hours. She's going to flip.

"You okay?" He asks, stretching out.

"Fine." I offer hurriedly.

Standing up, he moves behind me. Locking eyes in the mirror, I look away. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah." I nod forcefully as his hands gently rub my arms.

Disbelief is written all over his face and I'm trying to find the strength to fake it when my door flies open. "Jo, we need to– oh." Garner stops.

He looks at us like we've grown five heads and I step out from Aspen's touch. "What's up?"

"We need to pack the car up." He says, blinking his eyes. "I'm just... I'm just gonna go."

He practically runs from the room and before I can be forced to open up, I grab my phone. "I'm gonna help."

Anything to keep me from talking sounds like a good idea right now.

*****

The car ride is tense.

Gentry doesn't say a word to Aspen. He gives me a once over to decide if I'm suitable to function properly and doesn't have any complaints. Wordlessly, he shoves allergy medicine down my throat and an icepack into my hands to help with the swelling.

Aspen drives and like normal, I take the front seat. Despite the silence, I don't think anything of it until we stop for coffee in the Dunkin' drive through. Aspen tastes my iced coffee before holding it out for me to drink.

Bits of sugar crunch between my teeth and it manages to earn a small smile out of me. "Thank you."

"Thank you for smiling." He says softly.

Feet rest on the center console, causing us to lean back and Gentry slurps on his drink. "I'd appreciate it if you'd start fucking driving."

Aspen's jaw ticks, but he pulls back onto the road.

Things really don't get any better. Every time Aspen's gaze wanders over to me, Gentry slaps the back of his seat. "Eyes on the road."

Besides those few comments, no one speaks.

Finally, after almost four long, torturous hours on the road, we pull into a luxurious hotel in downtown Nashville.

"Holy shit." Houston and Garner mutter in disbelief as a valet takes our luggage.

"There you are!" A shrill voice echoes through the lobby and we turn to find Manny running towards us.

I'm wrapped in a suffocating hug that makes my palms sweat. "Hey, Mans."