27 ~ Vacation

Waking up with a pounding headache, it takes all of my strength to open my eyes.

"Too bright." I hiss, pulling the covers over my head.

When there's no response, I cautiously peak my head out to find the bed empty.

Trying to remember last night, I sit up. I could've sworn someone was in here. A horrible feeling settles in the pit of my stomach as I touch my lips. Images from last night flutter through my mind. We played cards. We drank. Peyton threw up. Aspen carried me to bed.

Maybe I did sleep alone. The feeling disappears as I drag myself from bed. Brushing my teeth to get rid of the horrible taste of pink lemonade, I change into fresh clothing.

Walking downstairs feeling like half a human being, I find everyone crowded around the kitchen table.

"You look like shit." Gentry offers.

"I feel like it too." I grunt.

Taking a seat, I study Peyton. She holds her head in her hands, flinching as Aspen continues to make breakfast.

"What happened to you last night?" I wonder.

"Alcohol." She mutters.

"Dude, you didn't drink that much." Gentry snorts.

Lifting her head up, she glares at him. "I am skinny and new to this. That shit fucked me up."

Coughing to hide my laugh, I rub her back. "It's okay, Pey. Everyone has a horrible experience."

"Ain't that the truth." AJ laughs. "However, you had a very handsome angel holding your hair back last night."

"Gross." Houston gags.

"I'll throw up on you next time."  Peyton promises, letting AJ rub her head while food is set down in front of us.

"Eat up." Aspen orders, taking a seat across from me.

"Pey, where did you sleep?"

She drops her fork into the fruit bowl. "I-in the bathroom."

"So you didn't sleep with me?" I clarify, taking a bite of eggs. The bed looked messy on both sides. I could've sworn...

That horrible feeling reappears as I catch Aspen's eye. Holding a finger to his lip, he winks.  I, Jovie Rawlings, am a total and complete idiot.

*****

"Remind me again why we thought this would be a good idea?" I demand, trudging through snow.

"We must be one with nature." Peyton orders, shoving a tree branch out of the way. "Why do you think we went on this trip?"

"To be one with booze?" AJ offers and my brothers laugh.

"Well, I want to go sledding." She holds her sled up. "So we're sledding."

"But picture this." AJ starts.

"Sledding while drunk." Gentry offers, holding his arms out.

Jay hits them as he moves ahead. "That sounds like a quick way to die."

"But it'd be a fun way to go." Garner says.

"No." I kick snow at him. "You're an idiot."

"Easy there, Miss Alter Ego." He smirks.

"What are you talking about?"

"Um, we met drunk Jovie last night." My little brother informs me.