22 ~ Normal

Fighting with your boyfriend sucks.

Beau and I are still fighting. We say hello. We sit next to each other at lunch. On the outside, we look like a normal couple. However, I'm still pissed at him and he's clearly got something bothering him.

That's fine. It's totally fine that it's now Friday and we're not okay.

Sitting at the lunch table, Peyton and I are fangirling over the newest season of Black Mirror. It's the one decent thing I've experienced this week. Meredith and Aspen walk over and we ignore them.

"Can we please binge watch it this weekend?" I beg. My calendar is empty specially for this reason.

"Of course!" She squeals.

"Black mirror?" AJ and Jay join the table, slamming their trays down.

We nod enthusiastically.

"Can we join?" Jay asks.

"Of course!" Peyton does a happy dance.

Before I can echo her response, Beau storms off and I roll my eyes. "Definitely."

Gnawing on some celery, I try to avoid the now empty seat beside me. What a baby.

"Relationship troubles already?" Meredith tilts her head. "Not surprised."

Biting my cheek, I force myself to chuckle, so I don't slam her face into the table.

"Coming from–" I stop, remembering my deal with Aspen. "Coming from someone who just celebrated three years, I'm sure you know how dumb boyfriends can be."

She laughs, "They can be smart?"

Smiling to where I can't see, Aspen clears his throat. Mere doesn't tease him; she just returns to her phone.

My friends share a look and I flip them off. I'm fine.

*****

Pacing a hole through my bedroom floor, I slap my phone against my wrist. It's just one text and he'll respond. Closing my eyes, I press send.

Jo

We need to talk.

The dread settles in the pit of my stomach as the three little dots appear. Shit, that was quick.

Boo

Now?

Jo

My front porch, two minutes.

Staring at myself in the mirror, I bounce on my toes. Maybe I should be wearing something besides a sweatshirt and leggings. My looks can help sway this. Nope, I'm getting this message heard with my words.

I can do this, Jo.

"Why do you look like you're getting ready for battle?" Gentry asks, getting chip crumbs on my floor.

"Beau and I are about to talk."

"Shit." He whistles. "You need backup?"

"No." I'm capable of ripping him a new one on my own.

"Should I grab the body bag from the garage?" He follows up.

"Hopefully not." Although, for some reason, we do have one.

My twin hugs me before heading down the hall to his room. "You deserve someone who respects you enough to listen."

Inspired by his words, I march outside. He's right, I do deserve that. Swinging my front door open, I almost run into Beau in my march to conquer this.