23 ~ Parents

It's just dinner, so why do I feel so nervous?

Because I've never really had to meet the parents before. The only guy I've ever dated was Jay and his mom already loved me. This is different. I tried asking Aspen and Gentry for advice, they only said good luck.

I'm screwed.

Deciding I need a snack to cheer me up, I wander downstairs and help myself to the pantry. A wolf whistle has me frozen in place, a bag of chips in hand.

"Take the towel off." AJ jokes and I feel myself blushing.

Turning around, I take in my entire group of idiots staring at me. Garner shoving his hand over Seth's eyes. Resting a hand on my towel to ensure it stays up, I feel my skin burning. "What the fuck are you guys doing here?"

Peyton snaps a picture as the guys are trying to not laugh. "It's game day."

"What?"

"The SEC Championship." Jay says.

"We're gonna watch Ashton kick some ass!" Houston cheers.

"That's today?" They nod. "So you decided to watch it here?" They nod. "And didn't tell me?"

"We figured you were too busy getting dressed." Gentry coughs. "I like the hair by the way."

"Thanks." I flip him off.

"You're still doing dinner?" Aspen asks, raising a brow.

"Yes."

"Are you ready to meet the parents?" He pushes.

"I hate meeting parents." AJ whines. "They're always so judgy."

Peyton hits him. "That's because you're you. I'm sure they'll find Jovie absolutely wonderful."

"It's Jovie." Houston and Garner laugh.

"I'm lovable." I defend myself and all of my friends suddenly find our floor to be fascinating. "You losers love me so that says something. Now, I'm going to go back upstairs, for the love of God, no one look at my ass."

AJ snickers and I chuck the bag at him. Running to my room, I try to calm myself down. This is a sign that Beau's house will be better.

*****

Looking at myself in the mirror, I flatten my hair down. Straightened, it looks like liquid fire. Almost all of my freckles covered by foundation. I can do this. My friends don't know shit. Tonight will be great. I like Beau and I love food.

Walking downstairs, I'm focused on not trying to hurl as I bump into Aspen. His hands wrap around my waist to prevent me from falling, I expect him to let go but he just stares.

It's uncomfortable. Anxiety creeps in as he continues.

"Do I look bad?" He doesn't respond and I'm convinced my chips are going to make a reappearance on the stairs. "I'm going to change real quick."

I turn to move but he keeps me in place, "Don't, you look-"

"Beautiful!" My mother cries, coming around the corner. "My baby girl is beautiful!"

"Please don't cry, it's not a big deal." I joke as Aspen moves back.

She ignores me, trying to snap a quick picture on her phone as everyone comes to see what the commotion is all about.

"Hot momma!" AJ shouts and I feel myself blush. I didn't ask for all this attention for once in my life.

"I'm offended, you never dressed this nice for our dates." Jay mock pouts and I flip him off.