A Simple Game

A visitor! How splendid. I haven't had company for fifty years since the townsfolk put up that fence.

Stephen stood frozen in place just inside the broken fence. He glanced around the perimeter but couldn't locate the source. When his eyes fell upon the crooked oak the voice came again.

Yes, I am talking to you. Come! Come! Relax under my branches.

A sense of calm fell over the young man and before he knew it his feet were leading him straight to the oak. A wooden bench stood in front of the tree just under the thick leaves. As Stephen sat on the bench, he realized it was a thick root from the tree. The wood had been worn smooth and glossy from years of use.

Kings have sat in that very spot. Do you seek the same treasure?

He nodded. Before his very eyes, the roots of the tree began twisting and wriggling then finally retreating through the dirt exposing a large hole in the ground. Lifted from the earth came a hoard of treasure so great most men could only dream of. A beautifully crafted desk sat off to one side with stacks of deeds on it.

"I want it," was all Stephen could muster as he stared at the jeweled crowns that appeared as if they had been cast aside amongst the gold. Immediately the hoard began sinking back into the Earth. Once it was out of sight, he heard the voice again.

You have little of value on you. Perhaps you could play a game with me and win some gold. It's been years since I've played with anyone. I'll even give you a coin to help out.

One single gold coin emerged from the soil as a bare branch came down to snatch it up. The limb brought the coin towards Stephen and dropped in his outstretched hand. It was roughly made, and on its surface, he could make out a face with Latin inscribed around it.

"Is this a Roman Coin?" Stephen thought to himself.

It is gold and valuable. Let's play.

An old checkers board came out of the ground resting on more thick roots. The pieces were already lined up ready to be played.

"Checkers. Really? This is going to be too easy," Stephen thought pushing the first piece forward with a smile.

The crooked tree laughed to itself when it recognized the depth of this man's greed.

Stephen won the first game and two more afterwards. He never stopped to wonder how the tree could have accumulated so much wealth from losing so many games. The fifth game, Stephen bet all that he had earned plus his gold ring, confident he could beat the old oak.

The old oak could've beaten the man at every turn but knew that to gain wealth one had to sacrifice a little. The man's next few moves flashed through the tree's mind, as had all the others, and knew it was time to strike.