Nineteen

My network didn't fail me. Yayy💃💃💃
Without any more of my boring side notes. Lets get into the chapter.

Playlist: Something Just Like This by Chainsmokers.

Shane's POV
He continues to bug me about valerie and I continue assuring him that we aren't a thing.

It sounds odd tho but him bringing valerie up reminds me that I have to find a way to help her, i just hope she's ready to learn because building an emotional wall is never the actual answer.

Jacob walks up to me to inform that he's about to take a nap and considering not disturbing him since he had a pretty long trip.

I enter my room and decide to watch a movie on my laptop called "Darkest Minds". I've watched it about a million times but i won't min d watching it again

When it ends, i feel tired and drift off to sleep.

Valerie's POV
My mum's already back and i decide to tell her about buying a JAMB form and know which universities i'll be applying for...

I clean up the whole house hoping there's nothing to complain about, i make dinner to perfection and i wash and iron all the clothes that were possibly dirty. Now i feel like i can tell her with little hesitation.

I walk up to her room and knock on the door *knocks*

"Come in" she says from inside and i gently push open the door.

"What do you want?" She says looking at me with utter disgust but i'm used to it already.

"Uhmm... I want to-" she cuts me off immediately

"Look chisom, you're wasting my time, better get out if its not important" she gives me a hard stare.

Oh lord, she's giving me a hard time already. How will she listen to me if she is cutting me off. Lord help me, i need to speak up. Thats it val, keep a straight face and say your mind
I mentally advice myself. I breath inwardly and prepare to speak

"I have to register for JAMB and i need to know the choice of universities i'm applying for" i say not changing my emotions even once.

She looks at me for a split second then turns back to her tv. She behaves as if i'm not present.

"Mum, i know i said something" i say in a hard tone considering the way she just ghosted me.

"And so, if you want to go ahead its your business but don't go to any university in lagos because i will want to have a break from you disgracing me. I've heard you"she says in a dismissive tone.

"The amount neede is #4,000" i say sharply.

"Okay, leave my room" she says
I leave and close her door. I don't really care that she raised her voice as far as she's giving me the money and i can't believe that she doesn't want me to study in lagos that means i won't be seeing my place of hope.

I guess i'll have to find a way to talk to shane about helping me to be like him.

I enter my room and brush my teeth before i jump into bed and sleep off
**************************
Third person narrative
Valerie wakes up to the sound of the annoying alarm and stretchs her body before getting off the bed.

She freshens up, puts on a red oversized hoodie and black leggings. She puts her weekend lesson books in her backpack and sets off to the kitchen

She makes Toast and tea for her siblings and makes indomie and eggs for her mum.
She arranges the little things that are disorganized and then takes the money from the counter top.

She wakes her siblings up to eat their breakfast and she leaves for lessons quickly, knowing her mum's irrational mood towards her.

She calls a cab and heads to school.
************************
The lessons are over and she walks to her place of hope to study extra.

Shane's POV
Jacob decided to sleep all day as the couch potato he is. So i decided to come to the scenery and takke some shots so that i'll be able to make a painting at home.

I take a few shots and i snap every corner of the place. As i snap the path, valerie enters the picture and i look up to meet her innocent eyes.

"Uh-hi" she says putting her hands in her hoodie pocket and i smile strapping the camera to my neck

"Hey, what's up"
"Just came to study, i can see you're into photography" she says looking at the camera.

I can see she's trying to be social and i like that.
"Yh,mind modelling for me?" I say with a playful smile

"Nah, i don't do pictures" she says with a shrug.

I want her to be able to continue making small talk like this because its the first step to breaking the wall but her face is still rigid.

"Okay, but if you love this place so much
You should take some shots and i could print it for you" i suggest

"I don't know the first thing about using a camera" she says kicking a stone

"I can teach you the basics" and before she says anything i hang the camera on her neck so she can't refuse

She shoots me a glare and i wink
"It'll be fun, i promise" she doesn't say anything and i help her position the camera on her hands.

I show her all the buttons and their functions and she fails a few times and i try not to chuckle at the way she bites her lip anytime she fails miserably

"I think the camera is malfunctioning" she says handing it over to me.
I take the camera and nothing is wrong with it. She just put it on sleep mode.

I hold my giggles in and put it back on.
"Its working now" i say trying not to make her embarassed.

"Let me show you" i show her the basics again and when she finally gets it right her face softens although she doesn't smile but i like seeing her this way.

Her eyes are fixated on the camera and she takes a few simple shots before she starts taking more advanced shots and i'm really surprised at how she learns so quickly.

I make a few attempts to spoil her pictures and she swats at my face and she laughs.

She laughed

"You have a nice laugh" i say and she doesn't say anything and she continues taking snapshots.

I like seeing that she is able to laugh at least but its a rare thing to see. Knowing that she is always wearing a hard face.

"Its getting late, i have to go" she says handing me the camera.

I take it and hang it back on my neck. I want to see this soft side of her and this is the chance to ask her if she will like help

"Can i" "can you" we both say at the same time but she keeps quiet as if waiting for me to speak

"Can i help you, i mean will you like to be more open?" I say hoping she gets

"You mean, like you-you teaching me to break my wall" she asks

"Yh, that"  i say with a small smile

"Yes. Bye then" she says and speeds up through the path.

I dab happily, I will know what happened to you val and i'll help you go through it.

I tell myself and scroll through all the pictures and stop at the one where she was coming through the path...

Sooo guys, i made this chapter a bit longer. I hope you enjoyed it

Valerie's mum is a character 😒

And valerie is taking better steps ahead in her life

She laughed, what do you think about that

I think shane did a really good job teaching her photography and now she takes pictures like a G.

Thanks for reading

I love you all ❤❤❤😘💃

Bye all