"Impressive isn't it?" A familiar female voice called from down the hall. Taken off guard, I spun around rather ungracefully to face an amused Dr. Pierce approaching me with her black tablet in hand. The shock must have stayed on my face because she let out a small chuckle as she neared me.

"Did you know that Eagles are the most powerful bird in terms of grip strength and carrying weight?" She said as she came to stand in front of me.

"Um...yes," I replied, taken off guard yet again by her question.

Dr. Pierce smiled. "When creating the subject, Richard used those genes as well as the genes of a Hawkfinch. But I am sure you already know this from your reading last night," She said, shooting me a pointed look as she waited for confirmation.

"Yes of course-"

"But?" She added, reading the question that hovered at the tip of my tongue.

"I have a question," I said looking back over at the subject whose arms had begun to shake. "If what I read last night was true, then what is the point of this kind of physical testing?"

Dr. Pierce's smile dimmed as she looked towards the glass gym and the subject. "Now that he has crossed over to adulthood the real trials have begun. Pushing him to his maximum physical limit, preparing him for the day that Dr. Grant will return and present all his projects to the Board of Science and show them the true possibilities of genetic modification in humans."

"And the number on his wrist?" I asked, remembering when I first met him.

Dr. Pierce's eyebrows rose. She turned to shoot a surprised glance in my direction. I bit my lip to hide my smile.

It's not fun to be caught off guard now is it I thought, satisfied with my ability to return the favor.

Dr. Pierce wiped the surprise from her face. "You saw that...you're more perceptive than I thought you would be."

"Does the tattoo 0043 on his wrist refer to the number of human trials?" I asked, watching her expression.

Dr. Pierce hesitated before speaking. "Yes, 43 trials. However, I would prefer it if you use that term wisely. The people around here do not see the subject as a 'he' but rather a 'it'. So, it would be wise if you refrain from using such terms in the future, especially with mixed company," Dr. Pierce added with a pointed look towards the other researchers before adjusting her glasses and refocusing back on the subject.

I frowned. "That feels wrong. Does the Subject not have a name?"

Dr. Pierce sighed. "Not officially no," she said before looking around to make sure nobody was close enough to eavesdrop. Then she leaned towards me, lowering her voice to a whisper, "but between you and me, I call him Elias. It's a biblical name meaning Yahweh is God."

I frowned. "I didn't peg you as the religious type," I added, not bothering to hide the skepticism in my voice. After all, I had never met many religious scientists during my years at university.

"I wasn't," She said, her glasses gleaming under the lights making her face suddenly unreadable.

"What do you m-"

Suddenly a loud crash of metal echoed across the room, interrupting my question.

Looking towards the source of the ear-splitting sound, I gasped. The subject had thrown the weights across the training room, shattering the glass of the wall on the far end. The once shouting man has now cowered on the ground backing away from the seething subject. The subject's powerful wings prickled as he stalked towards the man.