Chapter 15 - Jackie's Birthday

"Hey, Shirou! Do you want to come to another party with me?" Michiru smiled at him as he threw the ball over her head.

     "When is it?" He kept his eyes on the ball, it went through the hoop and bounced.

     "Tomorrow, it's Jackie's birthday and they're having a potluck." She grabbed the ball and ran up to him, throwing the ball over his head next. He quickly jumped and got in the way.

     "Alright, do you know what you're bringing?" He stole the ball and threw it over her head again. It went into the hoop again. Shirou's plain physical ability was enraging sometimes and yet she knew how useful it was. That knowledge didn't stop her from wishing she could go back to winning against other people or the days when he didn't understand the rules.

     "Nope, I was hoping you could help me with that." She caught the ball and tossed it over his head, finally getting the ball into the hoop. He held his hand up, calling time out. He grabbed the ball and turned to her.

     "Shouldn't we be thinking about that then?" He handed her the ball and sat down on his chair.

     "I guess, do you have any ideas?" She sat down on the floor, leaned against his legs, and stared up at him. She felt hot and sweaty, but the windy weather helped relieve her body a bit.

     "It's in the slums, right?" He stared down at her and felt around for his coat. She hummed at him with a nod. "We should bring something with vegetables then, it's healthy and filling." He found his coat and started to shrug it on. She turned around and leaned her head on the long chair thing, right next to his legs.

     "Vegetables, do you want to cook it? You are older than me, doesn't that mean you're better at cooking?" She stared at him and he sighed at her.

     "Not necessarily." She pouted.

     "Well, do you cook it or should I?" She leaned back and started to get up.

     "It's your friend, you do it." He watched her stand and brush off her legs. Just as she was going to start protesting, his phone started ringing and he held a hand up to her. The call was from the mayor.

     "Afternoon Ogami."

     "Mayor, what did you call for?" Michiru's ears perked up and he raised an eyebrow at her.

     "I just found out that I'm going to be packed with meetings tomorrow so I'm calling to tell you that I won't be contacting you again until the day after tomorrow." 

     "Is there anything you want to tell me today then?" Michiru sat down next to him and they just kept staring at each other.

     "Just that, also have a nice day off." He sighed.

     "Alright." She hung up and he put his phone back in his pocket.

     "So, you're still coming. Right?" He nodded and she went back to smiling. "And you're sure you don't want to cook the food?" He gave her a look and sighed.

     "Fine, I'll help you. But I'm not making it all." She smiled and hopped back up.

     "Great, do you think we should start cooking right now or tomorrow?" He shook his head and lip tilted at her excitement.