Chapter 2 - Nina's Birthday

Another day leads to another thing, like today was Nina's birthday party. The first party would be the large party and the after party would be more intimate with family and friends. And Nina asked for none other than Michiru to help her get ready.

     "Come on, which is better? The blue or the pink streamers?" Nina held both up as she paced around the room. 

     "Why not put them both up?" Michiru grabbed the tape and looked over her shoulder, "What do you think Shirou?" 

     "I don't mind either color, but it's her party so it's her choice." Shirou was lounging on the couch with his arms and legs crossed. He looked bored. Nina nodded and handed Michiru both streamers and the tape. With a soft chuckle, she stretched her arms and started taping the streamers to the walls.

     "Come on, help me out Shirou! Do the blue ones!" Michiru whined over her shoulder while waving the blue streamers in front of him with her stretched arms. He just chuckled and grabbed them from her hand before getting another tape roll from the table and doing as she said. To reach an equal height, he put tape on the streamer and jumped, slamming both onto the wall at once before going to the other side of the room for the other side. Nina smiled at them and left them to pick out an outfit for her party.

---

     The music was loud, some of Flip's friends were smoking, the lights were too bright to be good for anyone's eyes and yet too dark for anyone to see anything, and seeing all these wanted people in one spot was making Shirou twitchy. Pushing it down he continued to stand silently behind to Michiru, he wasn't going to let her get in any trouble today and definitely not here.

     "Hey, want to grab some food Shirou?" Michiru looked up at him, sitting on the couch next to Nina. He nodded, waiting for her to get around the side of the couch before he followed her to the table full of food. Along the way a couple eyes turned to her, but a quick glare from Shirou turned them away. Nina had gotten her into one of her looser dresses for the party, it was a shiny silver and blue dress with a pleated skirt opposed to the cloud like one that he'd seen before and a cut similar to that same dress. It surely turned some eyes with the partially open back. Sure, she wore tank tops all the time, but this was a dress, it was different. And, for the open party she'd had to turn into her human form to avoid any fights, there being several gang members in the room. Her appearance left him feeling like he needed to be cautious for her, he didn't want her getting into trouble and her awareness of any possible danger was horrible.

     Halfway through, Shirou's glare got them parting the crowd. With a glance over her very exposed shoulders, she understood why they were moving. "Shirou, we're at a birthday party. I don't think a smile would hurt." She stopped and smiled at him, "See?"

     He just looked at her for a second,"I don't feel like it." He deadpanned before urging her to keep walking with a little tilt of his head. She sighed and finally got to the table of beautiful food. They reached for a plate each and filled them with what they wanted before turning around at the sudden loss of music and chime of metal hitting glass.

     "As you all know, today is my daughter's birthday. I just wanted to thank you all for coming, the cake will be coming soon and we'll be firing some fireworks soon after. Don't forget, you're all being kicked out right after, okay?" Flip announced with a smile and a raised glass. Then her turned to Nina, "Happy birthday, Nina!" She smiled at him and waved him off with a quick, "Thank you."

     Shirou looked over at Michiru, and a small tilt of his lips was seen, not a smile but definitely an uplift of some sort. She smiled back at him nonetheless. Then the cake was rolled out by a cook and the singing started. Apparently beastmen don't sing the usual Happy Birthday song, it was different and slightly more complicated. Shirou joined in quieter than most others and Michiru had to sit it out completely due to not knowing the song at all. She did enjoy the small surprise of Shirou having a nice voice though. 'Maybe I can sing the human Happy Birthday song to Nina after the party, she'd like that.' Once the song was over, Michiru got up on her tippy toes and whispered into Shirou's ear a quick,"Can you teach me that song later, I don't know it." He looked over at her with an eyebrow raised and nodded as his face went back to that stern neutral again. She smiled and people started passing out the cake.

     Everyone gathered along the beachside as Flip and Nina set the fireworks off, the sky turning a wonderful pink, bright blue, and vivid green with large, deafening booms for each one. Everyone flinched and laughed with each one that went off. Once they'd all been set off, Nina came to sit on Michiru's right side, Shirou occupying her left. They smiled at each other as the last one blew an amazing purple. "Happy Birthday, Nina." Michiru smiled wider and Nina did so back.

---

     "Good, now that it's just us, let's open the presents!" Nina giggled her way back inside, still a little adrenaline rushed and deaf from the fireworks. 

     Flip looked over at Michiru and Shirou,"They're staying?" He looked over at Nina.

     "Yup, Michiru is my friend and Shirou is her's!" She giigled as she ran over to the table overflowing with wrapped and bagged gifts.

     "Alright." Flip let go before following Nina to the table and leading her to the couch.

     Michiru and Shirou joined the family on the other side of the couch, she smiled, turning back into her beast form, and he just grunted. Flip looked over at them for a second before turning back to his daughter. Nina was holding a bag full of make-up from one of Flip's workers. She opened another with more fluffy dresses from her father, and another full of Nazuna merch from a guard. She opened one after another with little comments and giggles until she reached Shirou and Michiru's gifts. She looked up at them and opened the box to find an autographed photo of Nazuna from Michiru and a bag of sweet breads from Shirou. "Thanks guys!" She held the photo and started eating one of the sweets immediately.

     "Well, I was planning on going to bed at midnight, but it's one thirty right now so. Please leave soon, I'm going to bed now. Ogami, I'm trusting you to keep these girls out of trouble and for you two to be out of my house by two, got it?" Flip stood and stared at him.

     "You got it, now go to bed." Shirou looked him in the eye nodded. With a nod back, Flip went down the hall and they heard the door shut. Nina and Michiru looked at each other and started laughing, Shirou gave them a look and they quieted down. "You heard him, you have thiry minutes before we go." And with that he leaned back, crossed his arms, and closed his eyes.

     "So, Nina, want to hear the human birthday song?" Michiru leaned in towards Nina. Nina's eyes widened and she nodded excitedly. Shirou looked over at her with a questioning stare, but stayed silent with curiosity. With a smile she started softly singing the song to her. 

     "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Nina, happy birthday to you." Nina smiled wider.

     "Is that really how it goes? It has my name in it?" Nina squealed. 

     Michiru giggled at her, "Almost, humans change out that line for whoever's birthday it is. Though that leaves it a bit awkward for some names or nicknames." Nina nodded and Shirou looked towards the window as they started talking. 

---

     "Ahh, it's so late. I'm tired!" Michiru whined as they made their way up the stairs.

     "That's your own fault for staying for so long. Now quiet down, we're late and Gem and Melissa must be sleeping by now." Shirou kept on behind her. They stopped in front of his door.

     "Well, tonight was nice. Good night, Shirou." Michiru smiled and put her hands behind her back.

     He did that little lip tilt almost-a-smile-thing again. "It was. Good night, Michiru." She hummed and turned to go up to the roof. And with a quick wave, she was gone.

---

     "So, what time did you two get home? We must have missed you completely." Melissa asked as she set everyone's breakfast down. Gem looked up in curiosity as he started to eat.

     "Oh, it was around two twenty, Nina's party lasted longer than we expected." Michiru started to rub the back of her neck with a tired smile. Shirou nodded next to her and started to eat as well.

     "Seriously? That's so late!" Melissa's eyes were wide but she just shook her head and started to eat. "You two may be adults, but you should really keep better track of time. Even adults need sleep."

----------------

Okay, second chapter out. I wanted to have a scene with a protective Shirou and a Michiru in a dress, so big party full of people Shirou doesn't like or trust. I hope you enjoyed this, see you in the next one.