Chapter 4 - The Orphanage

Michiru had just finished eating her breakfast when Shirou got a call. Glancing over at her, he got up and went into the hall before taking his call.

     "What is it, Tachiki?" They heard Shirou through the door. Michiru got up and took her plate to the kitchen to wash it, "Seriously? Alright, I got it. I'll get her there." He came back in and walked up behind her.

     "So, are we going somewhere?" She finished washing the plate and started on her chopsticks. 

     "Yeah, those kids you were teaching on your second day here are doing something. So, the orphanage wants you there." He stuffed one hand in his pocket and leaned the other on the counter by Michiru.

     "Really? Alright, give me a second." She rinsed the soap off the chopsticks and dropped them into the drying rack, "Okay, let's go." 

---

     Nearing the orphanage, they could see kids running around and a handful of adults trying to usher them into lines. It seems they were seen because the kids started waving and jumping and a few tried to run over to them. "They must like you." Shirou mused with that lip tilt of his. She looked over at him with a smile before running the rest of the way to the kids.

     "Hey!" She smiled at the kids and got on her knees in front of them. She remembered some of the kids from Rabbit Town, but most of them weren't from there. Poor, adorable things. "So, what's going on? Shirou didn't really tell me everything." Michiru looked up at the woman next to her as a child started poking at her tail.

     "They wanted to put on a little show for you, but I wasn't sure how to find you for this until they mentioned how they'd met you. Sorry for the trouble, but they worked really hard on this and I couldn't not find you." The woman smiled and pet one of the children. 

     "Really? That's so sweet, thank you!" Michiru smiled back and looked over at Shirou who still stood a fair distance away. "What are you doing all the way over there? Come on over here, Shirou!" She waved him over and he shook his head a little before walking over. He had the tilted lips all the way through.

     "The show is today, do you mind?" The woman took a stick from another child with an unwavering calmness and smile.

     "Not at all, right Shirou?" Michiru stood back up and looked over at him now that he was at her side.

     "I was only planning on dropping you off, Michiru." He looked at the kids and then at her. 

     "Oh come on, we can watch a quick show. Besides, are you doing something else today?" She tilted her head at him. He glanced back at the children.

     "I'll watch, but if something comes up I'll have to go." He shrugged and she smiled.

     "Alright, just give us a minute to get ready. I'll lead you to your seats. Oh right, my name is Linda, by the way." She led them inside the orphanage and the kids ran in after them.

---

     "You have to work if you want something, not pray!" A raccoon girl wearing a blue wig squealed as she softly punched some plastic bars and threw a big blue sleeve between the bars before wiggling around and pulling out some painted sticks and wiggling them around too. They were reenacting the day she had met them. Even the kids that weren't there were participating, it was adorable. But everytime the little girl who had her part said something, the other people in the audience would look over at her until Shirou stared them down and then it'd start again with the next line.

     The little girl grabbed a giant lever and pulled it, threw a blue blanket on everybody and slid the plastic bars away. "Let's run!" She dragged everyone with her and flew into a leopard girl in a black tank top and leggings.

     "I'm evil, rawr!" She put up her hands and started hugging the raccoon, but the wig fell off. Everyone froze for a second, then a little husky boy ran up to them, put the wig back on her head, and pulled the girl out of the leopard's arms.

     "I'm not evil!" He let go of the girl and proceeded to jump and fake punch all the other girls until the bunny girl waved a white flag. Kids in police outfits rolled in and took all the 'gang members' away. The raccoon and the husky walked up to each other and mimed a conversation before she hit him and walked off stage. 

     "The end! We're all free and safe in this orphanage now thanks to Miss Michiru and Mr.Wolf! Thank you!" The kids yelled in unison and bowed for the small crowd. Everyone clapped for their little show and Shirou's tilt turned into a happy smirk.

     "Mr.Wolf, huh." Michiru smiled at him and he rolled his eyes at her.

---

     "Did you like the show?" The kids gathered around them with nervous little smiles. Michiru and Shirou looked at each other for a second before turning back to the kids with soft smiles. Shirou smiled, didn't tilt or smirk, he smiled.

     "Yes, we did." Michiru giggled at them. And boy, their eyes lit up like fireworks.

    "Even you, Mr.Wolf?" The husky looked at him shyly. Shirou nodded.

     "Yes, you did well." He pat the kid.

     "Alright kids, it's time for the pictures!" Linda came up to them holding her phone. The kids giggled and dragged Michiru and Shirou into the pictures with them. 

---

    "They were so cute!" She giggled as she flipped through the new pictures on her phone. He just shook his head at her, but the smile was still there. They made their way to the Fire Bull stand and she bought one. "So, Mr.Wolf, are you happy you didn't just drop me off?" She smiled and swirled the straw in her cup while looking up at him. He gave her look and sighed.

     "I am." He was still smiling, albeit softer. 

     "Good, let's get some food!" She started skipping ahead of him, smile growing wider than before. "Come on, Mr. Wolf!" She looked back at him as he shook his head at her teasing.

    "Alright, I'm coming."

---

     "Come on, Gem! I want to finish this before four, I need to make dinner!" Melissa scolded as she pushed the cart to the self check-out. 

     "I know, I'm coming." He followed her and helped her unload, check-out, and reload the groceries into bags.

     "Alright, all done. Let's get back home." She paid and they picked up the bags. They left the store and were going down the street when they saw Michiru and Shirou walking in the distance. "Hey Gem, look! They must be headed back too!" She brought their attention to them.

---

    "Alright, Mr.Wolf. Where to next?" Michiru giggled at him, walking backwards in front of him. He sighed at her, grabbed her arm, turned her forwards, and pulled her to his side, arm around her shoulders.

    "How about not into other people." He smirked at her and nodded towards the beastman she almost walked into. She laughed and they kept on walking like that until they got home.

---

     "Umm, Gem. You saw that right?" Melissa froze, confused and a little shocked at the sight of Shirou smiling with Michiru under his arm. He nodded, sweating a little.

     "He might just be trying to keep her from bumping into people." He tried to convince them both. It almost worked.

----------------

Chapter 4 finished! I had fun writing the little mini recap of episode 2. I wanted to see the kids again and their affect on them, so cute reenactment play! See you in the next chapter!