Chapter 7 - Nightmare

Just like how the day can go ways we don't plan, so can the nights. Tonight was not a night he wanted to be sleepless on, well that's not fair, he never wanted a sleepless night.

     Either way, tonight was just one of those annoying nights. He'd had enough of these nights in his thousand year life to know that once he was up, he couldn't go down. Tonight was a fresher type of sleepless though, he'd had nightmares about Nirvasyl and the hundreds of lives he'd taken so many times. But now he had a new nightmare in his mind's arsenal, the night he thought he'd killed Michiru. Her blood still on his tongue and fresh in his nose, her body limp and bloody on the ground before him as he listened to that fox cry. He felt the burning weight in his chest and throat, he'd had to release the pressure. He couldn't cry, but he could howl. And then he'd wake up. This was the eighth time that memory had played in his nightmares since the night it'd happened. And that wouldn't have been much of a problem if it weren't for the fresh need to check on her every time he thought of the night. He knew it was normal, he'd stayed in the place his brethren had been killed for months. But the feeling had passed after it'd been switched out for vengeance. Rolling onto his face and burying his face into his pillow, he tried to force the desire out. It was the middle of the night, he wasn't going to do this. Then the memory of her blood on his tongue and the smell of her blood taunted his mind. 

     "Fine." He muttered as he vaguely wondered if the feelings from these memories would fade to a taunting pang like the others. He got out of the humid blankets and went down the ladder to his library. Dragging his feet, he walked to his door, this was his last chance to just ignore the horrid need to make sure she was alright. He knew he'd be fine once he saw her, he always was. So giving in, he opened the door and quietly made his way up the stairs to the roof. He could smell her on the stairs and without a thought otherwise, he opened the door. The cold air hit him with a rush, but it wasn't enough to ward him off. Her lights were off, it was a ridiculous hour, he shouldn't even be thinking of looking into her room as she slept. But he'd also done it enough times to know she'd never know, and yes, he knew that was horrible, but he knew that for once he had a way to make himself sleep on these sleepless nights. For once, a person who had died in his nightmares was still alive for him to check on. He walked over to her room's window and took a quick glance in, she was sleeping and as usual, not covered in blood. She's fine you fool. And then her eyes opened, but he'd already gotten out of the window's view.

     "Shirou?"

---

     "Hey, are you still worried about me?" she looked up at him instead of off the edge of the building. He just looked down at her. "Sorry if that's weird to ask, but I swear I saw you last night. Did something happen?" She turned her eyes back toward the car they were watching.

     "You wanted to ask me this right now?" He glanced down at the car as it turned the corner. They just needed to know where these people were going. It was getting out of range of this roof's view. "We'll talk later, just fly me closer to that car, alright?" He watched the car get out of range and switched to his nose once they got out of view.

      "Alright, just don't forget." She wrapped her jacket around her waist, flipped out her wings, and picked him up. 

     "I won't." He grabbed onto her legs and she started to fly after the car.

---

     The last gangster in the warehouse had been put into the pile to be tied up. As Shirou tied them together, Michiru squat down next to him. "So?" She just stared at him. He glanced over at her and sighed.