𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢.

| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ |

Christian hadn't even parked the car before Hazel sprinted out of it. She could hear her heart thumping in her chest as she raced down the concrete path, and she could feel it too. The only time she slowed was to tear open the door.

"I'm here to see Jennifer Moone," she told the nurse at the station, slamming her hands on the countertop. The nurse jumped at the action, turning to the girl.

"She's sitting in emergency," she pointed to a small separate seating area, "if you're Hazel, she's been waiting for you."

"Thank you," Hazel breathed, rushing to where she pointed. "Mum!" She found the woman within a second, running over to her.

The sight that greeted her was terrifying. Her mother sat in a chair in the corner, accompanied by a nurse who inspected her cut and bruised face. Her left arm had bandages up to her elbow, and there was a large tear in her jeans. She stared blankly ahead of her; unaware her daughter had entered the room.

"Hazel?" The nurse inquired. She nodded frantically. "Your mother and brother were involved in a collision just outside of town. Your mother was lucky and walked away with minimal injuries, but--"

"Where's Anthony?" Hazel asked, trying her hardest to muster up as much calmness as she could, which wasn't much. "I need to see my brother. I need to see him." The tears began to fall from her eyes. "Please."

"I'm sorry, he was rushed into surgery--"

Hazel's knees buckled under her. The nurse moved swiftly to catch her, barely catching her before she hit the floor. People watched on as sobs racked Hazel's body, and she trembled violently. Her throat felt like it was closing up.

"Hazel? Hazel, look at me, please," the nurse called, trying to get the troubled teen to focus on her. 

"I gotta get out of here," Hazel muttered, pushing the adult away. "Move. Get out of the way." She shook her head, bringing her hands up to the side of her skull. She let out a shaky breath.

The air was thick as it moved through her lungs. Thick with death. Thick with sickness. Thick with souls of those stuck in pain, forever aching. The entire hospital crawled with the stench of it. It was so heavy she could feel it pressing her down. She could hear it, too. The pain, the darkness. Hazel thought she blocked it out. It hadn't bothered her in so long. She'd be fine for so long.

"Hazel. Sweetheart, please don't move."

Stop. Help. Someone, please help me.

"Go away," she cried, rushing to the door.

Hazel's feet ran on their own as she dashed out of the sickening hospital. Tears clouded her vision.

She was terrible. She was a terrible daughter. She was a terrible lover.

She was a terrible sister.

Terrible. Bad. No good. Failure. Pathetic. Weak.

She was vaguely aware she'd run past Christian, over the road and into the forest when the sunlight dimmed. Her foot got caught in the root of a tree that stuck out from the ground. She tumbled to the ground, her hand getting cut on a rock when she tried to use it to soften her fall. She didn't have any strength left to stand up.

Weak. Weak. Weak.

"Stop," she sobbed, her breathing becoming more ragged by the second. Her body curled up. "Stop." Her bloody hand and her muddy one came to either side of her head.