[28] by the ocean, part 1.

Pannacotta Fugo treasure his quiet life more than anything. After graduating from university when he was only sixteen, he decided to settle in a small cottage by the beach in the southern part of Sardinia. The very reason he chooses the deserted place was that he is tired of all the attention he got as a genius. He dislikes it. Thus, he now works as an author of many books. For two years since he graduated, he published five books. 

And today Fugo is working on his sixth book. He set himself comfortable in the same spot every day. Rather than the sandy beach, he prefers the coastal with coral rock scattering around. Which luckily just available near his cottage. 

While working on his draft he would check the massive coastal rock not too far away from him. Just glancing it from time to time when he feels like somebody is watching him. It's been like that for the past two weeks. 

"Enough," He groans lightly, putting down his paper then hold it down with a rock. "I have to check it for real," continued him to himself, he takes off his shoes and socks then rolling up his pants to his knee before enters the water.

Even though the chances of an actual human watching him from behind the rock are low, it's not impossible. Fugo has to make sure before considering himself crazy from the lack of human interaction.

"Who's there!?" Fugo shouts when he hears waters splashing behind the rock. His step widens and faster. The water getting deeper near the rock. 

Just when he arrives he turns to see the splashing water away from him. There, he catches a glimpse of something sparkling emerges swiftly before falling back to the ocean. Something wide and transparent shaped like a two wide fin.

Fugo rubs his eyes before staring back at the blue sea. It was serene, quiet, and magical.

"Okay," Fugo murmurs to himself, a corner of his lips lifted in amusement. His gleaming orbs showing excitement in him.

"Have I gone mad.. or did I just see merfolk?"

The next day, Fugo already prepared some sort of plan to catch the merfolk. This is his first time ever, since what he can remember, being excited over something. He read the book about merfolk tales just to laugh at it in the end. He doesn't believe in mystical creature existence. Fugo is a very logical person after all.  

Now that there is a chance of one of them being real of course Fugo wants to see it. He wants to know about them. Can they even talk to human? Can they understand him at all? The questions only made him more excited. Though if the merfolk actually not real he is considering visiting a therapist.

As usual, he sits on his spot and working on his draft. Not too long, he can see something watching him from behind the massive rock by the peripheral of his eyes. Corner of his lips lifts again. When the shadow disappears he quietly he took off his shoes and socks. Tiptoeing to the coastal reef and step on it. Jumping from another rock to another rock. It's dangerous but better than making sound and scare off the merfolk.

Fugo catches his breath slowly. Just one jump away from the big rock. He can see the flow of the water behind it. 

On one and two!

Fugo jumps to the water, quickly grab the rock to pull him closer to the other side. His plan pays off successfully.

"A mermaid..," He unconsciously whispers to himself. Staring in awe at the magical being in front of him.

Their eyes met. The one who's been watching him was a mermaid. Her face is small and round, thin pink lips, with big [e/c] eyes. The hair surprisingly looks smooth, dangling to her waist, and also covering her bare chest. She is sitting so Fugo can't see her tail. But, still, the view catches his breathe away.

The mermaid let out a soft gasp after some time. She quickly turns to the open water by crawling because the water still too shallow for her to swim. 

"Wait, no!" Fugo shouts in panic, "You're the one who's been watching me, right? I mean no harm!"

She stops crawling, glancing at the back to see Fugo starts to lower his body to the water. They are now on the same eye level.

"I just want to know you," Fugo says again in a softer tone, "Why are you watching me? Who are you exactly?"

There is no response from her.

"You can understand me, right?" Fugo asks again to confirm. This time, the mermaid nod as the answer. 

"You," The mermaid calls, her voice is thin and clear. She crawls back to get closer to Fugo again. She only stops when their nose almost touched. "You cursed at the wind."

"Uh, yeah?" Fugo holds his breath back. He didn't catch what she meant yet but Fugo would like to mention that the mermaid surprisingly doesn't smell fishy. 

"Two weeks ago when there was suddenly a storm," She says again but now shifting her face away from Fugo, "You loudly cursed at the wind because your paper ruined."

Oh.

Fugo recalled the memory from two weeks ago. He left for lunch for only about ten minutes and he left the paper outside. When he got back suddenly rain pouring heavily, strong wind befalls on him, and waves were crashing heavily. His draft for the first chapter ruined. It's his first time being angry since he lives alone. He can't even remember what did he say that time but must be lots of cursing.

"Yes, I remember," Fugo clears his throat, "Am I scaring you?"

"I actually wanted to apologize. My fish best friend died and I was so angry and accidentally made a storm," She explains, looking down in shame as her cheeks getting redder, "Then I heard you cursed. I hate making people angry and I feel really sorry. Especially when I've known you since you moved here. I'm sorry."

"It's fine now that you apologize," Fugo gives her a small smile, "Also, I'm sorry for your loss."

She lifts her face, showing her now bright face, "Yes, thank you. I know you're a nice person after all.., um?"

"It's Fugo," The man offers his hand in a handshake.

"Nice to meet you, neighbor. My name is [y/n]."