Chapter 8

As soon as the ceremony was over, Snowpaw rushed over to her mentor.

"So when do we start training?" Snowpaw asked enthusiastically.

"Why don't we start now? Follow me, and we'll get your new nest set up in the medicine cat den," Sandtail replied, heading towards the medicine cat den.

Snowpaw quickly padded up to Sandtail's side as they walked through the hanging ivy that grew around the den.

"First, we should get you used to some of the herbs, even though you know most of them from when you helped me out when you were a kit," Sandtail told Snowpaw once they had entered the den.

"Ok! What should I get?" Snowpaw asked, padding over to the shelf-like ledges inside the den.

"Take out the horsetail, chevril, and the marigold," Sandtail told her, but after a moments thought, she added, "And the catmint. It's only Newleaf, but we'll need it in Leaf-bare."

"Wait... What does catmint look like again?" Snowpaw asked, scanning the shelfs with narrowed eyes.

"It has yellow flowers, and has a delicious smelling scent," Sandtail replied, joining Snowpaw and the herbs. "It's this one," Sandtail pointed with her tail.

Sandtail's right! This herb smells so good! Snowpaw thought as Sandtail brought it over with the rest of the herbs.

As Snowpaw went back to join Sandtail, she look around the den. The entrance was guarded by long hanging pieces of ivy, but inside was a large cave, with stone walls. On one wall, almost every herb you could think of was there. Some sat in cracks and indents in the wall, while others sat on shelf- like structures, or just on the floor.

Another hole led to a small clearing, where fresh water trickled into a little pond. Moss was piled up next to the pond, and added to the greenery of the small clearing.

In the first cavern, against the opposite wall of the herbs, sat several nests made of moss for all of the sick or injured cats.

"Snowpaw? Are you coming so I can teach you? Or are you just going to stare at the ceiling all day?" Sandtail asked, shaking Snowpaw out of her trance.

"Sorry Sandtail! I'm coming!"

"Oh, I almost forgot! We have to get you your nest! Go grab some moss so we can make you your nest," Sandtail mewed to Snowpaw.

"Ok!" Snowpaw replied, racing into the clearing. She padded over to the pond and grabbed a mouthful of moss. Then she trotted back into the den and placed it down.

"Over here Snowpaw! You can make your nest next to mine," Sandtail meowed, showing her near the herbs, where her nest would be.

Snowpaw carefully gathered all of the moss together, and arranged it into a comfy nest.

"Well I think it's time you head to sleep, we can explore the territory in the morning," Sandtail mewed, as she padded over to her own nest.

"Ok Sandtail. Good night!"

"Good night Snowpaw."