Chapter 2

A small paw poked Sandkit in the side.
"Waat?" Sandkit muttered, still half asleep.

"Wake up sleepyhead!" Tigerkit said with a giggle, "It's almost sun high!"

Sandkit opened his eyes to see sunlight flickering through the nursery entrance. He then excitedly leaped to his feet.

"Come on! Let's go to the Elder's Den! Skywing promised me she would tell me about the Great Earth Shift! Come on, let's go!"

Sandkit left the nursery and saw that Tigerkit was right on his tail, with Snowkit not far behind. They raced across the clearing, past the prey-pile and past the Warriors Den to get to the Elder's Den. Sandkit skidded to a stop just outside the den.

"Skywing?" he called into the dugout den.

"Here comes those mischievous kits again!" Sandkit heard Robinfoot meow with a raspy laugh from inside the den.

"I'm here sweethearts! Come in," replied Skywing, as she appeared in the doorway. The three kits hopped excitedly into the den.

"Can you tell us about the Great Earth Shift?" they chorused pleadingly.

"Of course my darlings. I suppose I could tell you the story one more time.

Well, it started out to be a clear morning, but you could tell something bad was going to happen.

The birds refused to sing and not a scrap of prey was to be found. Then, the sky grew dark and the ground began to growl and hiss. Cliffstar demanded that the camp be evacuated. And it was a good thing we did because as soon as we left the camp, the earth split. A large crack ran raggedly across the camp.

Then, the ground rumbled and shook and the Great Oak fell into the camp. Cliffstar, who had just become clan leader,declared that we must move on to another camp. That is how we got to our camp here in hollow," Skywing finished with a wishful sigh. "And of course, I was only an apprentice then."
Even though Sandkit had heard the story many times, he knew the he and his litter mates never grew tired of hearing it.

"Can you tell us another story?" Snowkit asked eagerly.

"I think it's time you kits get back to Icecloud, right?" Skywing replied with a sweet mew.

"I guess," Snowkit replied, sounding disappointed. Then her ears pricked up with a more excited look on her face as she said, "Perhaps Sandtail needs help in the medicine den!" With that, Snowkit raced out of the den.

"Come on Tigerkit! Lets go pick out a mouse from the prey-pile,"Sandkit mewed to Tigerkit, nudging him towards the clearing. Together, Sandkit and Tigerkit padded over to the prey-pile.