Chapter 5

Snowkit felt Hawkfeather's gaze burning into her pelt as she stood frozen in panic.

"We were just... Uh... Going to... Help Sandtail collect herbs in case cats are hurt after the battle. We just want to be helpful," Tigerkit lied sounding uncertain.

Snowkit and Sandkit both nodded. Her heart was pounding so hard, she was sure every cat in SunClan could hear it!

She just hoped Hawkfeather would believe Tigerkit's lie and let them go.

"Ok... Just don't wander to far... And I do hope you bring back herbs, right?"

"Yep! Well we should go look for... Herbs! Yes! Bye!!" Snowkit mewed quickly.

Before Hawkfeather could ask any more questions, Snowkit and her brothers raced out into the forest, and then stopped to catch their breath.

"That was close!" Sandkit meowed, breathing deeply.

"Get down!" Snowkit hissed to her brothers, "Someone's coming!"

All three kits instantly lay flat, not even daring to breathe.

"It's just a couple more tail lengths Poppyblossom," Snowkit heard Hollypelt mew encouragingly, "We're almost at the camp. Then Sandtail will fix you up."

Finally the two warriors passed and the kits crept out of their hiding place under a holly bush.

"Here, we can follow Hollypelt and Poppyblossom's scent trails to the border," Sandkit began to pick up their scent and then raced off.

Snowkit ran to Sandkit, with Tigerkit at her side. Her paws tingled with excitement at being in the forest for the first time.

All of a sudden, yowls of cats pierced the air.

"We're here," Tigerkit breathed.

Snowkit scrambled under a
bush and watched the raging battle between the branches. Her brothers soon joined her and they stared in amazement at the battle in front of them.

SunClan was outnumbered, but they still fought as hard as ever. Snowkit watched as Snakejaw and Birchclaw clawed at a SunClan warrior, driving her into the bramble thicket.

"We must bring the battle further into the forest where there is more undergrowth. It will give us more of an advantage," ordered Oakfur as he fought two warriors.

Cloudfur worked with Wildfire to take out another warrior. Wildfire knocked the warrior's feet out, making him unbalanced while Clouldfur raked his claws down his side.

Then two SunClan cats appeared from behind and attacked Cloudfur. One pinned him down while the other one began to scratch him. Appleheart and Duskfur rescued Cloudfur and drove back the two warriors.

"Thanks," Cloudfur mewed gratefully, "You two saved my pelt!"

"Anytime," Appleheart replied before diving back into battle.

Suddenly a yowl split the air.

"Stop!"