Chapter 24

I walked to Aaron's house as quickly as I could, sniffing back tears at the pain that ached all over me. I had never been to his house before, but he had texted me and told me that if I ever needed anything I could either text him or go to his house, and he gave me an address. His house, luckily, wasn't too far away from the school.

I counted the house numbers as I walked down the sidewalk. My eyes settle on the little blue house near the end of the block. Aaron's.

I sniff and wipe my eyes furiously as I walk up to the door. I hesitate before I knock, not sure if I really wanted to drag him into this. He didn't need this in his life...

Finally, I knock on the door. I wait, sniffing and glancing down at my arms.

The door opens up, and Aaron stands there, looking at me, confused. He glances down at my arms, the blood on my nose, and dripping a little down my face. At the sight of him, more tears fall.

"Luna? What happened?" He asked. I try to speak, but more tears come, and I stop. I put my hand up to my mouth and squeeze my eyes shut. Finally, I'm able to speak.

"I messed up, Aaron," I say, barely audible. He looks sad, his mouth parted slightly.

"Let's get you cleaned up," he says, taking my hand gently and letting me into his living room.

He sits me down on the soft couch while he runs into the kitchen. I hear him talking to a woman, probably his mother. I hear cupboards open and footsteps.

A blonde woman walks out of the kitchen and smiles at me a little. She has bright blue eyes, much like Aaron's, and she looks almost exactly like him, the same small features, the same eyes.

"You must be Luna," she says, staying near the doorway of the kitchen. She smiles warmly, and I sniff and smile back at her.

"Yeah. You must be Mrs. Walker," I say kindly.

She tightly smiles at me, and then fingers the wedding ring she still had on. She must keep it on for sentimental purposes, to remember him. Her smile starts to fade, and I feel bad about saying it. I glance down at the ground.

Finally, Aaron comes out of the kitchen, carrying a first aid kit. He sits down on the couch next to me, setting the kit down at his side. His mom turns around without a word and walks into the kitchen.

"What happened?" He says quietly, so his mom doesn't hear. He pulls out medicine from the kid and opens the bottle up. He sets it down beside me and reaches forward, gently pulling my sleeves up carefully. I wince and little, and he glances up at me and then back down to the cuts and bruises on my arms.

He grabs the bottle of medicine starts to rub it into my wounds. I wince in pain and bite my lip.

"I messed up," I say, opening my eyes and looking down at the clean, white carpet below my feet, "I need to stop racing, it's too dangerous."

Aaron looks up at me quickly, and then down at my cuts.

"How did you get hurt?" He asks calmly. I wipe my eyes with my finger, as if I didn't want to mess up my makeup. Even though my makeup was already smeared down my cheeks.

"It's Tony, one of the racers. I beat him once, and now he's mad at me. I bet he's mad because I won moment for it, which isn't often... But he sent two guys after me and they attacked me, Aaron. Their out to get me..." I sniff and look over at him, terrified.

"It's going to be okay, Luna. We'll figure this out," he says. He starts wrapping bandages around my arm, tightly and gently.

"They're going to kill me, Aaron," I say frantically. He ties of my bandages and looks at me. I turn a little and look at him.

"They won't kill you, Luna," he says. He takes a cloth and starts to dab the blood from my face. I watch his movements carefully.

We sit there in silence for a few minutes, Aaron cleaning up my wounds. I finally speak into the silence.

"My dad and brother are onto me," I say quietly, "this is getting way too out of hand." I wipe my eyes, the tears finally done falling.

"Luna, you need to stop worrying. We can deal with the problems when they come up," he says, closing the first aid kit and setting it beside him.

"What made you want to come to me?" He asks.

I take a deep breath.

"You told me I can go to you for anything. And, your the only person I could go to," I say.

"I'm too scared to head back out there, to even head home," I say quietly.

"I'll take you home," he says, taking his keys out of his pocket and standing up. He grabs my hands and he,ps me up to my feet. I give him a hug, and he stands there awkwardly, not used to hugs, had he ever had a hug in his life?

I pull away and smile at him, and he gives me an awkward smile, and we both walk out to his garage and get in the car. We drive in silence, with me worrying about what was happening. Aaron was surprisingly a good driver, even off the races.

He pulls into my driveway and throws the car into park. He looks over at me. I open the door, but as I step out, I turn and look back at him.

"Thanks," I say, "for everything." He gives me a smile.

"Your welcome," he says, as I close the door wand walk up to my front porch. With my hand on the door, I turn and look back at Aaron, giving him a smile, and then walking inside.