Chapter 5

I had to sneak home that night after fixing up the car. I had to be careful to not be seen, with the grease and the dirt caked onto my clothes.

The floorboards, as usual, creaked in some places, but I had memorized each one after sneaking in and out so many times. So I leaped over the creaky floorboards and tiptoed up the stairs.

My parents were asleep in their room, and my brother was in his room as well. I walked past their rooms as quietly as possible, and then went into my room and shut the door. I leaned against the wooden door and sighed with relief.

Quickly, I changed out of my dirty jeans and t-shirt and put on a tank top and pair of pajama pants. I walked out of my room and into the hallway, heading to the bathroom to wash my face and hands.

But, I was stopped by a figure leaning in the bathroom doorframe. I jump and gasp, backing up a bit.

Michael just laughs, and I punch him in the arm angrily, forgetting about being covered in grease and dirt.

"You scared me to death!" I say to him. He glances me up and down, looking at the black grease caking my hands and arms. I hide them behind my back quickly.

"What's have you been doing?" He asks. I pull my hands out from behind my back and push past him into the bathroom.

"I fell, outside earlier," I lie, my heart racing as I turned on the water and began to splash it over my hands and arms, the black water disappearing down the drain.

"Sure," he says sarcastically.

I glare at him int eh mirrors, and then use my foot to slam the door closed. And then I breath out heavily when I hear his footsteps receding away from the door. I know this isn't the end of this, I know that this isn't the last close call I'll have.

But I push the thoughts aside and splash water on my face, rubbing the gross greas smudged on my face.