Chapter 26

Aaron held my hand as we walked to meet up with the other racers. I could feel his thumb rubbing little circles on my hand, and I smiled. When I looked up at him, he didn't even seem to notice he was doing it.

Cara smiled at me and winks, and I just shoot her a glance.

Tony walks past me, and I take a deep breath as he whispers something to me that I don't catch.

I whirl around as if I was going to go after him, but Aaron secures his hand on my shoulder, stopping me and turning me back around.

"Not worth it," he whispers in my ear quietly. I sigh and grip his hand again.

"Not worth it," I repeat, and Aaron nods, smiling.

A brunette girl walked up to me. She didn't look like a typical street racer. She wore short demon shorts and a pink shirt, seemingly too girly to be a racer. She had a park of sunglasses on her head, and she gave me a smirk when she walked up to me.

" I heard your pretty good around here," she says, glancing up at Aaron and winking at him. I wrap a protective hand around his waist, and she backs off.

"Yeah, a lot of people are saying that," I say, glaring at her. She smiles again, and it sends shivers down my spine. Something didn't seem right.

Aaron could sense my unease. He glances down at me, but I regain my courage. She checks her pink nails and then glances back up at me.

"I'm pretty good where I come from, practically a champion. Maybe you'd like to race?" She asks. Her cold brown eyes stare into mine.

I let go of Aaron and take a step towards her. She glances down at me, my outfit, and then back up at me.

"Your on," I growl.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I rev my engine, glancing over at my opponent, her car a black Challenger. She smiles over me as she slips on a pair of sunglasses. She revs her engine, louder over the roar of mine, and turns back to the road.

I grit my teeth, gripping the steering wheel tightly in my hands. I glance in the rearview mirror, and see my boyfriend smiling at me. He gives me a thumbs up and I give him the best smile I could, but I could see a sense of fear in his eyes, his smile not quite friendly. If he was sensing what I was, then that may be it. But I highly doubted that.

As I looked around at the audience around me, I notice Tony watching, smiling coldly at me.

I glare at him, but he just shakes his head. I glance away as the flag is waved down. My foot falls fast onto the gas pedal, the tires squealing, smoke flying, as I shot down the road.

The girl's Challenger is faster than I expected. She sped up to me quickly. I glance over at her front bumper nearing the side of my door.

And that's the instant I realized I was too late.

The girl turns the steering wheel of her car violently to the right. Her bumper slams into the door of my car, and I can hear the crunch of metal crumpling. The door of the car dents inward a little towards me, hitting my leg.

I swerve a little away from her, but she keeps at it. That tingly feeling I had was now running down my spine again.

Her Challenger hits another big blow into my driver's side door. I swerve the wheel a little, fighting back. I push the car into hers as she counters, pushing into me. But her car is bigger, stronger, and better.

She moves her car away for a split second, and then hits me again, with so much force I can't counter. My car flies out of control, and my heart races faster.

Before I know it, I'm flying off the road, hurtling through rocks, dirt and trees.