Chapter 39: World of the Dead

You were starting to get tired of this. Fighting any god that challenges you. It's not like you can say no to the ones Hestia appoints. That's for training. But Thanatos? Seriously? And it's in the open, meaning that anyone can see. There's no safety of Ares' confidentiality rule. You could have denied the challenge, but there's this unspoken rule to not do so in Olympus. One must accept any challenge that comes their way or be seen as weak and cowardly. That's how you literally became friends with the twins. They challenged you. Granted, you lost in that match but they were impressed by your skills. 

"To your left!" Harriet yelled out. You dodged Thanatos' scythe just in time. His wings expanded as he flew toward you. You raised your arm up, causing the roots from the ground to shoot up and block the god. He cut through with his scythe and swung it at you once more.

Thanatos doesn't use his powers when it comes to combat. If he were to, the opponent would immediately fall dead, so it's not really much of a fight. He's one of your parents' most trusted allies. He's one of the strongest underworld gods when it comes to brute strength. He had joined Ares on the battlefield to not only collect souls but to fight as well. You find it interesting that he's described to have a gentle touch while also being a ruthless god. From the moment you met him, you've never seen him act gently to anyone but Makaria.

You blocked the sharp blade from slicing you in half. Blood trickled down from your hands as you gripped the blade tighter. Thanatos pushed toward you. You felt your knees buckle under the pressure.

'Keep your stance firm!' Hippolyta's words rang in your head. 'Your opponent would take any chance they get to strike you down. If they see any of your weak points, it would be their win'

Gritting your teeth, your hands engulfed themselves with your flames. Thanatos' eyes widened slightly at the sound of a crack. There was a small crack on his scythe. It wasn't anything major, just a tiny fault, but it was something that has never been done before. In all of his centuries of being alive, Thanatos has only lost twice. One was because Hercules drove him away from bringing Alkestis back to the underworld. The other was because that damn Sisyphus had trapped him in a trunk. If he were to lose to you, a young goddess who has no actual accomplishments to her name, there's no doubt that he would be seen as a laughing stock.

"Hmph," He pulled back, resting his weapon against his shoulders. "It looks like you have your mother's spirit"

"I take that as a compliment" You smirked before lunging at him.

Harry watched the fight in amazement. Your blue flames illuminated the dark sky while the plants morphed and followed your every command. That amazement soon vanished in an instant. The fight you had with Dionysus was started to fill his thoughts with worry. Every blow you take from Thanatos sends a wave of nerves throughout Harry's body. You just barely dodged another attack from the large blade, losing a few strands of hair in the process. Harry knows that you're strong. He knows that you can handle Thanatos. He knows you won't die. So why does he still have that sickening feeling in his gut? Why does he want to pull you back and fight in your stead?

"Woah!" CJ awed at the scene. Her eyes were wide with excitement and her large grin only expanded. "(y/n) is amazing! Your girlfriend is so cool, Harry"

He only smiled at her. The fake expression didn't go unnoticed by the older of the three. Harriet has always cared for her younger siblings when they were younger, but once they reached their teenage years, she started to leave them to fend for themselves. It's not like she wanted to. It was just the way of the Isle. She let out a sigh and patted her brother's back.

"She seems strong" Harriet glanced back at the fight. You had landed a punch on the man. The corner of your lips lifted into a wide smirk. "She has the pirate spirit"