Prologue

A long time ago, before human civilization created computers and electricity, there were the Greek gods that watched over the mortals down on Earth. The three main gods were assigned their own parts of the world to look after. Zeus, the youngest, and the god of lightning looked after the people and the land. Poseidon, the god of the sea, was in charge of the tides and the merfolk. Then there was the oldest. Hades, the god of the dead, ruled the underworld and all the miserable souls that lived there.

Unlike his younger brothers, Hades was not married nor did he really have many lovers. Not many were fond of his flaming hair or his normal brooding demeanor. Sure, he has slept with one of his nymphs here and there, but none of them meant anything. There was only one woman that grabbed the oldest son of Chronos and Rhea's attention.

She was a young new goddess to Olympus. Her (e/c) eyes attracted Hades like a magnet. Her (h/c) colored hair felt like the finest silk and framed her face perfectly. She was a natural beauty that adored flowers and the Earth's agriculture just like her mother, the goddess Demeter. This fine goddess was Kore, aka Persephone, the goddess of spring.

It was an accidental meeting. Persephone had wandered off into the forest, behind her strict mother's request, to gather some flowers with one of the forest nymphs. But as she was having her fun, she had gotten a glimpse of a blue shadow that was watching her from behind a tree. Not being afraid, she went to greet the shy man. To her surprise, her stalker was none other than Hades himself.

The two had begun a conversation, one that they did not want to finish. They had walked to an edge of a cliff that was one of the many entryways to the Underworld. The shy man offered the young goddess to join him, and she did.

She stayed with Hades, helping him take care of his kingdom, and slowly falling in love with him. The two had married within two months. Persephone was a wonderful queen to the Underworld. She was the only other person besides Hades to be able to control the three-headed demon dog, Cerberus. She brought harsh punishments on souls that have done terrible sins. She was also the one that comforted Hades' minions - Pain and Panic - when the god scolded them. All and all, Persephone brought life to the world of the dead and to the brooding god.

But those peaceful days had to end when spring needed to come. It was the arrangement that Hades had with Demeter. Persephone must return to her mother for spring and summer, but she can stay with her husband for fall and winter. Slowly, Persephone began to return to an even more grumpy Hades.

The man began to grow a burning hatred toward his little brother, Zeus. The lord of the Underworld hated that his brother was the king of the gods. He hated that Zeus and the rest of the Olympians laughed and talked about him behind his back. He hated that he was stuck in the Underworld every day and not able to enjoy anything else. He wanted nothing more than to destroy his brother.

As Hades continued to despise his brother, he began to ignore his duty as a husband. This caused a stir in their marriage. One day, Persephone had good news to share with her husband. But when she went to go tell Hades, she was met with an angry god. The two had a serious fight that ended with Hades meeting his queen's wrath. Persephone cried as she ran back to the surface and to her mother's arms.

The next time Persephone heard of Hades was when Hercules saved Olympus and the mortal world from the god's evil plan to take Zeus' throne. When Hades was banished, the goddess knew that she needed to take his spot in the Underworld. With the help of her mother and the rest of her friends and family, she was able to balance her life on the surface and the land of the dead. But what was most important to her was the beautiful baby girl she had given birth to.