Second Chapter

It had been a long day and as the sun was setting I sat in my room sipping some water with lemons in it. I was almost ready for bed when the doors of my rooms flung open. Mother hurried in and the look on her face told me within that moment that something was wrong. "Mama?" I asked quickly.

"It's the emperor Cordelia. He is furious about you finding a husband. He has told your father to cancel the agreement with Tiberius" she breaths out. I sat up instantly, and confusion filled my mind.'

"Mama, but why?" I asked again.

"It seems that the emperor has taken a liking to you, dear. Whatever you have done it has worked because he has ordered your father to reconsider" she breaths again. I try to catch my breath, but after taking deep breaths I cannot. I find my chest heaving for air.

"Someone help me" mother calls, and before long, I manage to calm down. I hadn't even realised I had been crying until I found someone wiping the tears off of my cheeks.

"Mama what dose that mean?" I ask finally. She sakes her head unknowingly. Our silence is broken by the entrance of my father, he looks like he had been running a race or fighing a battle.

"What news?" mother asks him sitting beside me.

"The emperor dose not even know his own mind. He was drunk as a solider when he started screaming his declerations. So we are unsure if the stand in the morning." He scratched his head. "But I think it would be best for your wedding my daughter if you keep youself inside these rooms for the next few days. I will not have the emperor ruin my daughter over one moment of indulgence." He shook his head.

"Ill do whatever you suggest papa" I add feeling too tiered to hear more. Despite feeling completely drained, once I found myself in bed I did not sleep at all. How this day went from walking to the gardens with my potential future husband to crying myself to sleep seemed beyond me.

Whatever game the gods were playing with me, I did not want to be a part of anymore. I wanted them to take all that they had given so I didn't have to keep paying for it in this way.

But at least the attention from the emperor was making more sense by the moment. I had not seen him talk to a person at his banquets alone and for as long as he had spoken with me. He also seemed to be a professional at dismissing attentions, and then they were being thrown on him. And I had never heard him inquire after anyone's happiness except for mine.

And for the rest of the days, I spent locked up in my room. The large window overlooking the gardens was my favourite spot, where I would sit enjoying the breeze and something to read. Somehow even though I was oftern alone, I preferred this to holding fake and unconsequental conversations with the other guests.

My moment was cut by mother with a smile. "It seems that your 'sickness' has been noticed. Tiberius has sent a basket of oranges and lemons directly from his families own orchids, I have been told they are the best in all the land" she smiled setting the basket down. I noticed a letter peaking out and pulled it from the basket once mother had gone to attend to something else.

Dear future wife,

My father informs me that you have not been seen in a few days. I hope that you are not sick. Unfortunately, I had been sent back home after our meeting but plan to return to Roma shortly. You had inspired me to read on my journey home and so beneath the oranges and lemons, I have put my favourite collection of poetry.

Please excuse my bad handwriting, as some of them were written when I was a boy. But I do hope that it brings you joy at this time.

Sincerely,

Tiberius

Even in his letters, I could tell that he was smiling. And that made me smile too. Digging beath the fruit I found a small leather satchel binding a collection of parchments together. And for the rest of the period I read.

In my weird routine, I found myself going to the bathhouse before dawn to bathe, and my meals were delivered after everyone else had eaten. But even then, cold food and a lack of exercise meant that my appetite had been reduced. I was already noticing that my body was getting more slender because of it. Finally, my father came back after a day of work and declared that I had to attend the banquet as Tiberius had returned to Roma.

I wore a soft turquoise dress and pinned my hair up with pearls. The banquet was like any other at the palace, but somehow there were not as many guests tonight. I decided not to drink any wine, and instead enjoyed a glass of chilled juice.