Prologue

"What is wrong with her Quintus?" my mother asked, worry lacing her tone. Mother's eyebrows scrunched up with confusion, wrinkles invading her still youthful face.

"Our daughter is all wrong Iotiva, her body is not bountiful. No man in Roma wants to marry her. They won't marry her for her intelligence that is for sure" he spat draining his glass of its sweet wine. I sat there silently taking the blame for my fathers' lack of fortune. The gods are not looking upon us today. Or any other day for that matter. How dare they bestow this house with a daughter with golden hair. Did they not understand that a Roman man would much prefer a dark-haired creature as a wife? Father tended to become a bitter man when he had too much to drink. Today appeared to be one of those days

"She is young, her body is still forming. Next winter in Roma she will be the jewel of the city. Her hair is striking. Men will stop and wonder. You shall be fighting them away Quintus " mother soothed him. He nodded calming down. His muscles relaxed and so did mine. I had been finding the whole time, as I reached for my food. I picked up the last olive and excused myself. I walked into the central courtyard and into the domus. The water fountains provided me with a coolness that was much needed from the hot Italian summer sun.

I watched mother and father walk out of the dining hall, bickering and my heart sank. Father seemed to continue and she knowingly turned and approached me with a sad smile. "When will we be in Roma mama?" I ask looking up at the dark-haired woman. That much I had gathered from their conversation, we were to go to Roma and reside in the emperor's palace, mother and I would be expected to attend to find me a wealthy husband.

"In a full moon. Your father is hand to the emperor now. You must learn to carry yourself with grace my child" she sang, in her soothing voice, despite how uncomfortable she seemed, mother always kept composed in any situation. As a true roman woman should. Father approached us again, and she plastered on another smile. "My husband, with your power, you will be able to choose her husband easily. Every man will want to be near the emperor and so, near to you. A marriage would secure their position" she always had a way with her words. Father was the head of the house but my mother was the head of him. He didn't spare a look to me.

My father was a lot older than my mother when they wed. He returned from battle and wanted children, preferably a son. She was unable to bear more children after me, due to complications and two miscarriages, the healers suggested against it. And so unlike their siblings who had multiple children, it was just me. Growing up, I had heard about propositions for my father to adopt one of his brother's many sons. But father being a proud man, refused. The gods did not wish it for me, in this lifetime he would say.

Ultimately, the weight of my family name fell on my shoulders. What if I were unable to uphold my families honour with a good husband? With the worries weighing my heart,  I find myself kneeling before the household shrine I pray "Please Venus, bestow on me a bountiful figure, to please my father. To uphold the family name. Please ensure my wedlock to a man of high stature, so my father will be happy" placing a glass of wine as an offering. It was a prayer that I would never have phantom that I would make, but listening to them all afternoon, made me realise that I could marry and give them the son they never had. If this doesn't work I don't know what will. I fall asleep dreaming of the bustling city of Roma. And almost as if the gods knew how gruelling the days would be leading up to our departure, they went by too quickly.

Roma was everything I thought it would be and more. The fashions and colours, the smells. Caused my senses to over-drive. We continued moving towards the palace. Where we would be staying. Somewhere deep inside sat the emperor, basking in his riches. My heart leapt out of my chest. Mama began slapping my cheeks, red-ding them and arranging my dress. My heart felt as if a swarm of butterflies had invaded my belly causing it to thump at their flutters. I was here, I couldn't wait to explore the streets the smells the tastes, the theatres and the temples. Somehow it felt as if Roma's was the key to my wishes.