Chapter 24: Levitation

"Oh, come on, another knockout? You gotta be kidding me, Alex." Rainbow Dash groaned. Alex chuckled, setting his controller down next to him.

"Maybe if you learned to play a little defense, Rainbow, you wouldn't get hit all the time." Alex said with a shrug.

"But defense doesn't win games."

"It doesn't lose games either." Alex responded.

"Pssh, whatever." Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and huffed a bit.

"He has a point." Fluttershy giggled a bit.

"I'm wondering, wouldn't a game like this divide friendships rather than bring them closer?" Twilight said in wonder.

"I mean, if you take it too personally, probably, but who doesn't love a little competition among friends? Me and my buddies get real into this game when we play." He said with a chuckle. Twilight shrugged and nodded.

"I can understand that. I'm sure Rainbow Dash would probably fit right in." Twilight said with a giggle.

"I don't know man. I think my friends might be scared to beat you." Alex said to her with a laugh.

"What? Why?"

"Just making a joke about your intensity," Alex said with a chuckle, getting up. "Can I get ya'll anything? I'mma grab a soda." Alex offered them. They shook their heads.

"No thank you." Fluttershy said with a smile.

"Alright." Alex nodded as he went to the kitchen.

"So, Alex, what do you do here? For work, I mean." Twilight asked.

"I'm a nurse. I work at the hospital downtown." Alex answered.

"Ahh, okay. Do you like it?"

"I do. It's hard work," Alex chuckled. "The hours are killer, but it pays the bills." He answered.

"I see." Twilight nodded.

"Not to be rude, Twilight, but he has been having some issues with his scheduling." Fluttershy brought up.

"Oh?" Twilight asked, looking at Alex. Alex cleared his throat.

"No, no issues. I just work the night shift is all. These two and Rarity have expressed some concerns about it because of how my schedule affects my sleep." Alex explained, popping his soda can open.

"I see. However, I know my friends, and if they feel the need to bring it up, it probably isn't good for you." Twilight said, coming to their defense.

"I know that. I'm aware of how my schedule negatively affects me. The fact of the matter is I just don't have a choice in the matter. I need the off days, and this is just the necessary trade-off. As I told them before, I appreciate the concern, but I simply can't afford to change it." Alex said.

"I understand. You have to do what you have to do." Twilight said with a nod. Alex nodded in response, and then his phone began to vibrate. He checked it.

"Sorry, I have to take this. I'll be right back." Alex said, retreating to his bedroom for the time being.

"Twilight, what was that? That was the chance to talk him out of it." Rainbow Dash pointed out.

"Rainbow Dash is right. That was a good time to say something." Fluttershy agreed.

"I know, but talking wasn't going to change his mind. You heard him, it's the money that's making him struggle, and that's something that talking can't really help." Twilight said as she shook her head.