Chapter 4: Temporary Accommodations

Inside the Tree of Harmony, Starlight stepped out of her room after her early morning shower. She immediately began making her way down into the castle library.

She had stayed up into the early hours of the morning working with Twilight on their research for finding their friends. Starlight eventually turned in for the night, suggesting to Twilight that she do the same before leaving her to continue their work alone.

"Egh...no...perhaps Star Swirl's old book on teleportation properties? No... Maybe the...no..." Twilight groaned in frustration.

As she had expected, Twilight was right there in the library where she had left her. She slowly opened the door, peeking in and entering quietly.

The princess of friendship was quickly flying back and forth in a frantic panic, pulling out book after book. Her eyes darted around wildly, without any clear focus. Her mane was a total mess, hairs pointing every which way.

"Twilight? Are you alright?" Starlight asked her slowly, with a soft voice.

"No! I'm anything but alright! I've searched and double-searched every book in this library; I've found nothing! Nothing that can help us!" Twilight said.

"You double-checked every book? How long have you been here since I left?"

"I couldn't sleep! I've been up all night!" Twilight answered in the same frantic tone.

"All night?! Twilight, you're gonna wear yourself out, if you haven't already! You gotta take a break." Starlight insisted. Twilight quickly landed in front of her, stumbling a bit upon her sloppy descent.

"Do you not want to get them back? We need to find them as soon as possible!" Twilight shouted, making Starlight flinch backwards.

"I know, and I agree, but these calculations are way too complex and important to do sleepy. We need full focus. So, I know you're worried, but please try and get some rest. I'll eat breakfast and keep going, and when you're fresh, I'll let you know what I've found." Starlight suggested.

"Okay..." Twilight sighed. "Just a short nap." She agreed finally, leaving the library. Starlight went downstairs to go and make herself breakfast.

***

Fluttershy quietly sat up in her spot on the couch, stretching her arms out. She rubbed her eyes with the tips of her knuckles, sliding out from underneath her blanket. She quietly stood up on her feet, careful not to wake the others. Stepping quietly around the air mattress, she made her way into the kitchen.

She paused, curiously eyeing a picture frame sitting on a small nightstand not far from where Rarity's head lay. She approached it, bending forward slightly to look at it closer.

It was another family photo; the same family, but now it was a family of four. The mother and father stood behind an older boy with glasses, and that boy held a baby in his arms.

There was an odd sense of fondness that Fluttershy could feel just by looking at the picture. Although the creatures in the picture looked strange to her, they still just looked like a happy family.

The door down the hall opened, and out came Alex in his pajamas. He squinted a bit upon seeing Fluttershy, who straightened awkwardly and waved to him with her fingers curled.

"Good morning, Alex." Fluttershy greeted him softly. Alex let out a labored exhale, rubbing his eyes.

"Morning... Still here?" Alex asked strangely.

"Mhmm," Fluttershy nodded. "Thank you for the blankets. Mine was very soft." Fluttershy said appreciatively. Alex's eyebrows furrowed.

"Are the others here?"